5150 III 50 watt blue Channel boosted.

D-Rock

I just recorded a quick one off clip to show the differences between two boosts I'm currently using.

The EVH blue channel boosted, is where it's at with these amps.

I'd be happy with a single channel, blue channel only version. I absolutely loathe the red channel.

Yup, when I had the 5153 I found the blue channel to be my home on this amp. The red channel was unusable amounts of gain and oddly thin sounding in comparison. I generally dig 808 styles over DS1. DS1 always has this snarling character to it that I find unpleasant for my own playing. I live on EQ pedals lately, that's the first thing I grab if an amp needs touch more of something, even before I grab an overdrive. I hate gigging with them though, damn sliders get knocked around and I second guess and tweak too much. I might pick up one of those Source Audio EQs with lockable presets sometime.

Spaceboy":1pluwdqp said:
Yup, when I had the 5153 I found the blue channel to be my home on this amp. The red channel was unusable amounts of gain and oddly thin sounding in comparison. I generally dig 808 styles over DS1. DS1 always has this snarling character to it that I find unpleasant for my own playing. I live on EQ pedals lately, that's the first thing I grab if an amp needs touch more of something, even before I grab an overdrive. I hate gigging with them though, damn sliders get knocked around and I second guess and tweak too much. I might pick up one of those Source Audio EQs with lockable presets sometime.

Oddly enough, my MXR 6-band has been beating out my VFE Dragon and Savage Drive lately. Just more natural and tighter. Just have to be conservative with the high end sliders, or it gets brittle. Great with actives, since you can be subtle.

I've been using these two pedals on another amp mostly. I actually just fired up this 5150 the first time in a long time just to try this two boosts through it.

The DS-1 is modified and has a lot less gain and high end. It's more of just a pushed midrange voicing with a tighter bottom now.
I kind of think it's better suited for lead playing because it really jumps out in the mix and works better with single note stuff than it does chording and fast riffing.
For rhythm playing, it's better at doing a cool 90s Alt rock/metal sound rather than the tight modern metal thing.

The GE-7 I love for that really clear, Hi-Fi, tight, percussive high gain sound. I have another one set up differently with more mids and less gain for a chunky straight up rock tone.

the blue channel boosted with a rocktron nitro 22db clean boost"enhancer" was the best tone i got out of this amp
clean green was ok
red sucked
overall it had no sag and was too stiff and not a lot of fun to play but when recorded for heavy /drop tuned rhythm work and or on the green channel for a pedal platform it worked flawlessly for recording in a pro setting.

I have never boosted he Blue channel on mine.going to try it later tonight after everyone leaves..probably going to get loud !
I like your videos here and the others as well..sounds great.
I have an EP boost..a EP boost clone I like better for much cheaper..also picked up a MXR KFK 10 band eq that should get the job done..and another cheap boost pedal that sounds amazing on the red channel.

I kind of feel like when an amp has three levels of gain; green-blue-red, anything past blue boosted is too much for me. Tight, stiff, too gainy.

Since reading and watching this earlier I decided to boost the Blue channel on my 50 watt 5150-3 amp..I mainly use a little boost that has bass,middle and treble controls.also gain too to use my amp at lower volumes to just overall make the red channel imo to sound badass to my ears.

I tried my EP boost..EP boost clone and another 20 db boost..also my KFK 10 band eq pedal..truthfully it sounds the best with all 3 on at the same time with the controls set accordingly..actually the amp has never sounded so good on the Blue channel.

I also tried on the clean Green channel with the gain maxed and then with 1,2 and 3 pedals engaged..damn it sounds awesome ! I always play the Red channel with the gain at 3 o'clock and really sounds damn good..with the tube rolling I have done it sounds really good..probably why I have had at least 8-10 other great sounding amp heads and this one stays here at home.

I am glad I clicked on Rig Talk after being away 2 months,and then seeing this thread..now using the boost and eq pedal(s) on the Blue and Green channels makes it so much more fun to play !

I actually boost both with Maxon OD808, blue and red channel. On the red I keep the gain very low, like 2 out of 10.

The blue ch is home for me. Mxr 10 band in the loop, digitech drop, boss ns out front. Sounds great to my ears. Now if I could afford a Helios, I’d be happy.

Is the 5150iii 50w blue channel higher gain than the regular 100 and actually closer to the 100 & 50 stealth 6L6 heads? I thought I had read that heard that somewhere.

To my ears, yes the 50 watt 51536l6 has more “gain”vs 100 watt. But it’s a personal taste.. Tons of variables

I did not play the 100W, but judging by my 50W, there should not be any shortage on the 100w.

Back