7 clips for ya all!

Jeff Hilligan

Well I must admit recording sucks! All these clips sound just meh to me...almost all the same except for the Vox ++ and EG3....They all are hot so there is some static and clipping. Just could not get rid of everything!

All modules were set at 12 noon and gains at 2 oclock. Rio Grande BBQ pu, SM57 just off the dust cap, Eggy loaded with Warehouse Vintage 30 clone.

https://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageart ... dID=478138

Give them all a listen and give me some feedback!

Thanks for the clips. Gives me a good idea of what the new EG5 and COD sound like compared to the MHG.
Just curious, what tubes are you running in your modules? Also, what mods were done to your XTC and Ultra? Thanks.

ugg":6cffb said:
Thanks for the clips. Gives me a good idea of what the new EG5 and COD sound like compared to the MHG.
Just curious, what tubes are you running in your modules? Also, what mods were done to your XTC and Ultra? Thanks.

Ya The COD was a bit thin at 12 on the dials and the EG5 just smokes....the MHG is really thick and balanced. Still think its great but the EG5 just cuts in the mix. I am running tung sol's in the modules except for the COD and VOX..they have the sovteks that come stock in all egg product.

The XTC and Ultra have major stuff done to the circuits. Basic stuff like bass cap change to 001 in both. Then both had high end changed on the cathode section of the module and in the tone stack at both midrange and high end. The XTC also had some resistors changed in the gain portion. I can perform modifications to both these for you if you would like. PM me if you are interested.

Those are some nice clips. I really enjoyed the XTC and the EG5 demos. As good as it sounds on these clips, I'll bet that playing it live (the feel ) sounds even better. I'm guessing this, by the way the riffin' came across to me: :rock:

loudgtr":70ed7 said:
Those are some nice clips. I really enjoyed the XTC and the EG5 demos. As good as it sounds on these clips, I'll bet that playing it live (the feel ) sounds even better. I'm guessing this, by the way the riffin' came across to me: :rock:

Yup in the room they are all so much better than recorded...Just had that riff in my head so I did it for all the modules, except for the Vox ++ since that one is my Kings X obsession!

That riff was great! To play it on all the diff. modules was good too.

Man! The more I listen to that EG5 clip the more I like. Especially when you rip that chord at :17 Me thinks you really like EG5 too ;)

I'm liking that Vox++ Very cool sounding. "OD with some chime" to it. Cool :yes:

loudgtr":71012 said:
That riff was great! To play it on all the diff. modules was good too.

Man! The more I listen to that EG5 clip the more I like. Especially when you rip that chord at :17 Me thinks you really like EG5 too ;)

I'm liking that Vox++ Very cool sounding. "OD with some chime" to it. Cool :yes:

Ya right now the EG5 rules for my ripping gain stuff and the Vox ++ is my clean semi distorted Kings X module. The 3rd slot is any and all others...but these two dont come out!

Call me crazy, but I think the VX and EG5 sound natural together. I set my VX ChA gain at 11 o'clock, ChB at 1, EG5 ChA at 9 and ChB gain at 1-2 o'clock and this gives me a very graduated gain scale with the same type of bright, sorta clean/chimey distortion. I'm really digging the pair.

Jeff,

Awesome work here dude. It was a great idea to set all modules the same and record them the same way. That way, its easy to take the recording out of the equation and really compare what you hear.

To me, the MHG and XTC sound extremely close. This actually makes sense to me as I always thought my MHG sounded alot like a Bogner XTC Red channel and with your XTC mod upgrades, you've probably brought those two modules closer together (stuff like similar quality parts now, more clarity, etc). The Ultra sounds pretty similar here to me as well. But a little brighter.

I can totally hear how the EG5 would slice through the mix more than MHG now. To compare the two with the same riff really let me hear the differences. Im taking my MHG to rehearsal tonight to give it one more shot, otherwise you'll be hearing from me at the shop tomorrow :D

Vox++ sounds killer!!!! King's X always helps anything sound good :LOL: :LOL: but that is really crisp and tight. If you switch to EG5 for the second part of Pleides there I bet that would sound massive!

COD really surprised me. It really had that high gain Mesa Mark thing going on and I just could not get that sound out of it when I played one. Sounded awesome. Hmmm... I wonder if we could do a variation of COD.... COD channel B on channel A, and even more gain and mids on channel B. Call it the "Mk2c+" module!

Thanks for doing this Jeff. Great stuff.

EWSEthan":00f08 said:
Jeff,

Awesome work here dude. It was a great idea to set all modules the same and record them the same way. That way, its easy to take the recording out of the equation and really compare what you hear.

To me, the MHG and XTC sound extremely close. This actually makes sense to me as I always thought my MHG sounded alot like a Bogner XTC Red channel and with your XTC mod upgrades, you've probably brought those two modules closer together (stuff like similar quality parts now, more clarity, etc). The Ultra sounds pretty similar here to me as well. But a little brighter.

I can totally hear how the EG5 would slice through the mix more than MHG now. To compare the two with the same riff really let me hear the differences. Im taking my MHG to rehearsal tonight to give it one more shot, otherwise you'll be hearing from me at the shop tomorrow :D

Vox++ sounds killer!!!! King's X always helps anything sound good :LOL: :LOL: but that is really crisp and tight. If you switch to EG5 for the second part of Pleides there I bet that would sound massive!

COD really surprised me. It really had that high gain Mesa Mark thing going on and I just could not get that sound out of it when I played one. Sounded awesome. Hmmm... I wonder if we could do a variation of COD.... COD channel B on channel A, and even more gain and mids on channel B. Call it the "Mk2c+" module!

Thanks for doing this Jeff. Great stuff.

Thanks and it was great to gab with ya! You wont be unhappy with the EG5. Ya I think Bruce said to me once that my XTC sounded close to his MHG...so I guess that is cool to get a Randall close to his stuff! The Ultra is brighter and a bit more mid...cool low volume module.

Without a doubt the Vox ++ is just freaking awesome..I am trying to get the old Kings X tone out of just my volume pot. Needs a bit more gain on the floored side of it to make me really content. I am going to use my Elite pre amp from Ty and the elite pu's I have to really try to make it final!

Ya the COD is really cool...it sounds a bit thin to me in the recording..but live it really cuts and is a totally different vibe than the Marshall based stuff. It has a really cool overtone to it when moving air that just makes you smile!

any boosts engaged on the EG5 clip and was it on the B channel? (is there more OD on the B channels or are they the same?

Drkorey":92a07 said:
any boosts engaged on the EG5 clip and was it on the B channel? (is there more OD on the B channels or are they the same?

No boost and used channel B with gain set at 2 oclock!

Back