Absolutely terrible! More Metallica content

DanTravis62

That's your only actual contribution, repeating the same old butthurt trolling.

Just the last record alone has a few good songs already. Are they as good as Orion or Master Of Puppets? Obviously not, but that's hardly the point, they have already done everything they could have done and beyond what any other metal band could have dreamt of.

If you make that utterly ridiculous comparison between their prime material and their new material, you're only fooling yourself. Nobody with an ounce of a brain expects a Master Of Puppets 2 or for James to sing as good as he did in the 80/90’s, but that doesn’t mean there isn't good music made in the last decades.

You don't like it? Your loss, but there has been plenty of good music worth writing in the last 30 years.

TL;DR

skoora

There’s a few elderly metal bands still throwing down hard and maybe even better than they used to who have families and nice houses and probably aren’t as angry anymore. Testament, Overkill and Keator come to mind. It’s not an age thing. It’s a personality, individual thing. Metallica wanted to go the mega level in ‘90 and they knew what they needed to do to get there. So they fired up the Vag machine and spit out the Black Album. Worked out for them, not so much for us. Just is what it is. They’ve sucked on record for so long I don’t really give them much thought anymore except when a painfully awkward live vid shows up in the recommended section..lol They gave us three and a half masterpieces in Thrash/heavy metal and that’s quite an achievement. I don’t begrudge them financial success as they deserve it. Would have been nice to have a least one or two albums of greatness peppered in there after ‘93 but just wasn’t meant to be.

Last edited:

Fordman65

There’s a few elderly metal bands still throwing down hard and maybe even better than they used to who have families and nice houses and probabaly aren’t as angry anymore. Testament, Overkill and Keator come to mind. It’s not an age thing. It’s a personality, individual thing. Metallica wanted to go the mega level in ‘90 and they knew what they needed to do to get there. So they fired up the Vag machine and spit out the Black Album. Worked out for them, not so much for us. Just is what it is. They’ve sucked on record for so long I don’t really give them much thought anymore except when a painfully awkward live vid shows up in the recommended section..lol They gave us three and a half masterpieces in Thrash/heavy metal and that’s quite an achievement. I don’t begrudge them financial success as they deserve it. Would have been nice to have a least one or two albums of greatness peppered in there after ‘93 but just wasn’t meant to be.
As a big fan, I'm certainly biased, but if I'm being honest, I do generally gravitate to their pre-93 music. That said, I find Hardwired very enjoyable and listen to it quite often.

riffsfordaze

She said she likes their music before they started wearing make up like Britney Spears does. I said me too, just remember what Cliff would do and she immediately gave the California Howdy.

Kids say the darndest things

Last edited:

Techdeth

DM was remastered around 2015/16 when it was put on the "Mastered for iTunes". It wasn't publicised just fixed. Take another listen and see if you agree. It's still a loud mix but not atrocious like it was. You can more clearly hear the bass and vocals without being assaulted by the drum mix obliterating it all. I don't know if iTunes remastered it better or Metallica had to to meet the MFiT requirements. Perhaps they kept it quiet as to avoid people saying "If you fixed Death Magnetic then fix AJFA also!" :)
I’ll have to listen again . Very cool

Fordman65

She said she likes their music before they started wearing make up like Britney Spears does. I said me too, just remember what Cliff would do and she immediately gave the California Howdy.

Kids say the darndest things
She must not like Kiss or Ozzy then. Too bad, because there's some good tunes there

Donnie B.

You want terrible? Metallica gives you terrible, baby! (Skip to 3:37 for the trainwreck)

People have been complaining about Kirk and too much wah for what? Over 20 years?
You'd think he'd have taken some of it to heart by now.
As soon as he stepped on the thing he fell apart.

Last edited:

RaceU4her

People have been complaining about Kirk and too much wah for what? Over 20 years?
You'd think he'd have taken some of it to heart by now.
And soon as he stepped on the thing he fell apart.

i blame jaymz and lars for not taking a stand and just throwing the things out, i say things because i remember watching a gear vid of theirs and kirk has three of them on stage so he never is never not within a wahs reach

riffsfordaze

I blame it on the plastic surgeon who did the hair plugs. I think he went a little too deep with the needles. Kinda like crash course in brain surgery for the new millennium so to speak

Last edited:

Philhouse

Kirks been letting the team down since after Justice.
He needs to go back to Satriani for lead help and stop listening to a shit drummer construct his leads. Every lead from the Black album on has been forgettable wah wankery.

NeilOConnor

Kirk couldn't have saved the recent records even if he suddenly developed good vibrato and ditched the wah. Lars is the biggest culprit and not just because of his sloppy drumming.

On the "making of" Hardwired and Death Magnetic videos James is going through the motions of banging out throwaway riffs, part of a process every guitarist, even James, must go through to write good material but Lars says wait a minute, puts his 'arrangement' hat on and instructs James to put that mediocre riff here and double up that shitty riff there and before you know it they're in the control room crowbarring these disjointed riffs that fall well short of Metallica grade in to a 6 minute track of nothingness.

They need to go back to writing before entering the studio and stop recording every idea or their albums will continue to sound like aimless jam sessions.

Metalhex

Kirk couldn't have saved the recent records even if he suddenly developed good vibrato and ditched the wah. Lars is the biggest culprit and not just because of his sloppy drumming.

On the "making of" Hardwired and Death Magnetic videos James is going through the motions of banging out throwaway riffs, part of a process every guitarist, even James, must go through to write good material but Lars says wait a minute, puts his 'arrangement' hat on and instructs James to put that mediocre riff here and double up that shitty riff there and before you know it they're in the control room crowbarring these disjointed riffs that fall well short of Metallica grade in to a 6 minute track of nothingness.

They need to go back to writing before entering the studio and stop recording every idea or their albums will continue to sound like aimless jam sessions.
Good insight. I agree

skoora

They had no problem talking openly about just jamming whatever for St Anger and then using Pro Tools to edit the jams into songs. Hence 6-8 minute slabs of total mediocre, repetitive garbage. They thought they were being spontaneous…lol