Alrighty......BMAN.....X mod time

Bucksears

Just got the BMAN module yesterday and thinking about giving the X mod a spin. I've got the parts for it (I think).

Is it the same as the SL2X?
C5 - 680pF
C18 - 470pF
C1 (tube board) - 100pF

Or is it just C5 and C18? (There isn't a cap on the tube board right now)

The X mod tightens up the bass and gives it an upper mid push. Reviews have said that folks pretty much love it and it makes the module a keeper.
On the SL2, it's just 1 additional cap and 1 cap swap. I just don't know EXACTLY what parts are changed for doing it on the BMAN.

In its stock form, the clean sound is fat, but the problem is, the overdrive is too (and not in a good way). Like everyone else has mentioned, it's really loose. I'm looking for that gritty, Tom Petty (Last Dance w/Mary Jane) overdrive out of it, if possible. That song has that midrangey twang that I love.

Did the mod last night (thanks Nick) and it still has a lot of (I think too much) low-end. The mid change did turn CHB into more of a tweed-rock channel; has more 'kerrang' than I expected.
Very surprised with the clean channel; really sweet sound with a lot of headroom. With some reverb and a Strat, I could easily see this doing some Dire Straits.

Not sure if this mod is a keeper (I'm more of a BF clean guy), but it is certainly versatile. It doesn't do a light grit like I was hoping - even with the bass turned all the way down, it's still a bit prominent.

You might want to checkout the SL module. If you want that 'kerrang' the SL has it. A Tele through the SL can get you in the Tom Petty, light grit your looking for.

Back