Am I alone on this? Re: JCM800's

guitarslinger

I haven't really played one I liked.

Even at roaring volumes, they still don't have enough gain. (and that's coming from a guy who HATES modern gain monster amps)

It seems the jcm800 amp tones people like are usually hot-rodded/modded in some way, or they used a boost/od/tubescreamer/etc.. (this might not be true, but it's my presumption)

End of rant.

I like all kinds of amps, but I just have zero gas for a jcm800. They just aren't my bag. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

it doesn't strike me as a saturated gain...more dry.

and yes...there's not enough of it.

but it records very well...and it has tons of balls...so I guess it's a trade off.

3 things I've learned after 5 years of amp whoring:

Not all amps work in all situations or for all users.

"Good" tone is entirely dependent upon preference and context.

Paying more doesn't mean you'll get a better tone - just a different one.

So..umm...yeah. Pretty much that.

It's kind of a weird balance when your recording you want less gain because when your laying guitars all those tracks are overlaying and it sounds really thick... when your playing live you want that extra gain because you don't have that option, or in your bedroom, etc., whenever. JCM800's are great amps for throwing into a mix to thicken/tighten things up, but I do believe most guys that use them use them boosted, for heavier rock stuff.

Have you tried the 2 channel JCM800's or the Jubilee?

I actually have never plugged into a JCM800, maybe that is why I still like my Jubilee so much :LOL: :LOL:

I had 3 JCM800's......all of them modded but had the ability to play the "stock" settings as well on the amps.
In stock modes....I felt the "POWER AND ROAR" when cranked...but your right about not enough gain.
Had to boost them for myself.
They have their place but I preffer higher gain amps. ;)

guitarslinger":3pu3v2j2 said:
I haven't really played one I liked.

Even at roaring volumes, they still don't have enough gain. (and that's coming from a guy who HATES modern gain monster amps)

It seems the jcm800 amp tones people like are usually hot-rodded/modded in some way, or they used a boost/od/tubescreamer/etc.. (this might not be true, but it's my presumption)

End of rant.

I like all kinds of amps, but I just have zero gas for a jcm800. They just aren't my bag. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I agree 100%

Digital Jams":by60jyru said:
You listen to Julianna Hatfield n00b, no shit 800s are not your thing........................ :LOL: :LOL:

Dammit.

pwn3d :aww: :aww: :aww: :aww:

Now that I think about it, I think Tanya Donelly also played an 800.

Blackba, tell me about your Jubilee?? I just picked up one of the black box Jubilee amps (haven't got it yet), then I saw this thread and started kicking myself!!

Does the Jubilee gain kick in pretty good? I'm not a metal player at all, just rock/hard rock. I don't mind smackin' it with an O/D pedal either.

My JCM800 2203 sounds killer. Do I boost it? Sure. Who cares.

There are tons of guys on here that boost amps that have waaaay more gain (Mesa, ENGL, Framus, etc....) and way less gain (Fenders, Dr. Z's, etc....).

The magic is in the core tone. It cannot be duplicated. :rock:

Jcm800s can vary from amp to amp a lot too.
One thing I've found is every single time with every single 800 I've played has been:
Les paul>tubescreamer>jcm800>t75s/greenbacks/65s = win
Every time, period.

Also I think 800s are a band mix sort of amp many times too. Sounds decent outside of a mix then you throw a full band at it and then the win really shows. :rock:

K-Bizzle":gb4swxh8 said:
Jcm800s can vary from amp to amp a lot too.
One thing I've found is every single time with every single 800 I've played has been:
Les paul>tubescreamer>jcm800>t75s/greenbacks/65s = win
Every time, period.

Also I think 800s are a band mix sort of amp many times too. Sounds decent outside of a mix then you throw a full band at it and then the win really shows. :rock:

The truth.

I need to throw in there TS-808 and SD-1. :thumbsup:

blackba":oiy95adl said:
Have you tried the 2 channel JCM800's or the Jubilee?

I actually have never plugged into a JCM800, maybe that is why I still like my Jubilee so much :LOL: :LOL:

Kind of apples an oranges as the Jubilee has some diode clipping built in.

gene there's gotta be a jcmo 800 in ur eggy stuff somewhere right?
What's the seminar head based from? Are none of ur modules 800 clones of some kind?

I love JCM 800's. Selling 1, still have another 2 at home. I play modern rock and metal, and I think they have enough gain for me when cranked up. I do boost them, but I don't use any gain on the pedal. To really get an 800 to shine, you have to turn it up. If you're not getting it up to about "4," you're not getting the best out of it.

Back