Analog recording vs Digital recording

I’ve been teaching myself how to mix for the last 6-7 years and the best mixes I’ve done are the ones where I barely had to touch a thing after tracking. If you stick to the ’rule’ of getting the tones and dynamics going into the DAW and don’t rely on anything in the mix to do it, you’ll be good to go. Modern mixes sound like modern mixes because that’s the way everyone mixing them wants them to sound and it’s just expected from the buying public at this point. I remember a few years back when Queensryche released their first album with Todd La Torre singing, they released a single that clearly had auto tune on it that they thankfully removed from the album version; Todd’s obviously more than capable of singing in key so it was only assumed that it was done to give it a modern sound. The fans bitched up a storm about it and I’m assuming again that’s why it never made it to the album.

Some of the stuff I record is in the Floyd vein and i keep that stuff as organic as I can, the other stuff is modern metal and I want it to sound like a machine, and there’s some stuff in between that I go for both. There’s still stuff I do leftover from the days I recorded on 4/8-tracks; I still go for full takes from start to finish and just that goes a long way in keep some of the human element in things. If I make a mistake and it’s not jarring, I’ll leave it in. I don’t worry about every single vocal take being perfectly in key if it’s just out for a split second, I’m fairly anti-pitch correction in general (but it’s good on basses when you may have been too heavy handed on some parts) and I’ve gotten away from copy and pasting chorus vocals and just tracking them each time so there’s some variation in there.

I love Mastodon’s mixes, they always work for the songs, everything is crystal clear but they don’t have that overly compressed thing going on, there’s a lot of space in there. Especially the newer album. Big Wreck is a band I keep expecting this from, but Jesus Fucking Christ I’m guessing Ian Thornley’s ears are shot because they master their albums so damn hot, the last one was the first album I’ve ever heard that was unlistenable due to the brickwalling, which is becoming a thing of the past these days.

No, it has hurt, its just that the glut of cookie cutter material hurts way more. Uninspired material with a great sound will not get me listening but great material with not great sound still will, and I’ll find a way to look past the ugly. That doesn’t mean I want bad sound, but I see an irony in how easy it is to sound “good” today but we can’t find anything worth listening to, especially when I remember how hard it was to sound halfway decent 20 years ago.

Interesting, great sound now has the opposite effect on me.

I specifically expect generic pablum everytime I hear "good" modern production. Apparently all the bands record labels and money marks believe in fucking suck, because every god damn record ive heard with "good production" the last 20 years has been creative dogfuck.

I’ve been teaching myself how to mix for the last 6-7 years and the best mixes I’ve done are the ones where I barely had to touch a thing after tracking. If you stick to the ’rule’ of getting the tones and dynamics going into the DAW and don’t rely on anything in the mix to do it, you’ll be good to go. Modern mixes sound like modern mixes because that’s the way everyone mixing them wants them to sound and it’s just expected from the buying public at this point. I remember a few years back when Queensryche released their first album with Todd La Torre singing, they released a single that clearly had auto tune on it that they thankfully removed from the album version; Todd’s obviously more than capable of singing in key so it was only assumed that it was done to give it a modern sound. The fans bitched up a storm about it and I’m assuming again that’s why it never made it to the album.

Some of the stuff I record is in the Floyd vein and i keep that stuff as organic as I can, the other stuff is modern metal and I want it to sound like a machine, and there’s some stuff in between that I go for both. There’s still stuff I do leftover from the days I recorded on 4/8-tracks; I still go for full takes from start to finish and just that goes a long way in keep some of the human element in things. If I make a mistake and it’s not jarring, I’ll leave it in. I don’t worry about every single vocal take being perfectly in key if it’s just out for a split second, I’m fairly anti-pitch correction in general (but it’s good on basses when you may have been too heavy handed on some parts) and I’ve gotten away from copy and pasting chorus vocals and just tracking them each time so there’s some variation in there.

I love Mastodon’s mixes, they always work for the songs, everything is crystal clear but they don’t have that overly compressed thing going on, there’s a lot of space in there. Especially the newer album. Big Wreck is a band I keep expecting this from, but Jesus Fucking Christ I’m guessing Ian Thornley’s ears are shot because they master their albums so damn hot, the last one was the first album I’ve ever heard that was unlistenable due to the brickwalling, which is becoming a thing of the past these days.

I think part of it is personal taste, man. I think mastodon (and their production) is fucking awful, lol.

I do agree with you about Big Wreck though, lots of bands seem to think the loudness wars arent over.

Interesting, great sound now has the opposite effect on me.

I specifically expect generic pablum everytime I hear "good" modern production. Apparently all the bands record labels and money marks believe in fucking suck, because every god damn record ive heard with "good production" the last 20 years has been creative dogfuck.
Well, great sound can mean lots of different things, but I understand what you mean and I have probably the same reaction “another one of these fucking things.” Hell I never liked the “Sneap sound” much personally but there are still albums he did that I enjoy. I never found the sound got in the way of the material, it just didn’t excite me and I didn’t ever understand why everyone wanted to have his sound.

That’s not to say there aren’t albums and studios that I have liked stuff from in that time period. I still like the sound of some stuff that came out of Studio Fredman and Finnvox. I guess those are not considered “modern” good productions anymore maybe. :LOL:

Well, great sound can mean lots of different things, but I understand what you mean and I have probably the same reaction “another one of these fucking things.” Hell I never liked the “Sneap sound” much personally but there are still albums he did that I enjoy. I never found the sound got in the way of the material, it just didn’t excite me and I didn’t ever understand why everyone wanted to have his sound.

That’s not to say there aren’t albums and studios that I have liked stuff from in that time period. I still like the sound of some stuff that came out of Studio Fredman and Finnvox.

I definitely understand, I like the new accept records, though I can't listen to them in full because the production is exhausting to listen to.

The sound DEFINITELY gets in the way of the material at this point for me, because as soon as I hear "modern" I don't fucking care.

I've spent twenty years listening to bands I don't care about with that production.

My point is just that if the music that’s out there that I have heard recently was recorded live to tape or something, it would probably not be any better.
I definitely understand, I like the new accept records, though I can't listen to them in full because the production is exhausting to listen to.

The sound DEFINITELY gets in the way of the material at this point for me, because as soon as I hear "modern" I don't fucking care.

I've spent twenty years listening to bands I don't care about with that production.
well I do have to agree at that point. Those albums have gotten hard to listen to. Just a weird “plastic” sound all over. Wolf’s guitar sounds like a fucking full on wah pedal. This from the guy who had one of my favorite rhythm tones back in the day.

My point is just that if the music that’s out there that I have heard recently was recorded live to tape or something, it would probably not be any better.

well I do have to agree at that point. Those albums have gotten hard to listen to. Just a weird “plastic” sound all over. Wolf’s guitar sounds like a fucking full on wah pedal. This from the guy who had one of my favorite rhythm tones back in the day.
Agreed. It's incredibly exhausting to listen to.

I agree that there has been a total decline in originality due to the internet driving the copycats and the sound needing to be "sneaped". But I will also say that this more modern approach was great for bands like Nightwish which sound huge and even better with modern techniques. Of course their source material was great too so there is that.

If you listen to isolated tracks from old songs, you hear noise, imperfections, etc. and things have haven't been overdone. Rush's "LA Villa Strangiato" was recorded in three parts. Old Beatles, Stones, etc were recorded in one take. It is so many things

If you listen to isolated tracks from old songs, you hear noise, imperfections, etc. and things have haven't been overdone. Rush's "LA Villa Strangiato" was recorded in three parts. Old Beatles, Stones, etc were recorded in one take. It is so many things
This is absolutely one aspect of it. People literally make everything as perfect as possible and forget what rock n' roll was actually about originally. Chaos.

This is absolutely one aspect of it. People literally make everything as perfect as possible and forget what rock n' roll was actually about originally. Chaos.

Man, that tone is so fizzy but it cuts like a knife and once again, the playing being more important than any of the gear used. Even if that were all digital, that riff would still kill.

Also love Warren's style, he naturally plays slightly behind the beat and drags. That slurring on his timing gives him so much swing it's awesome.

There's benefits and drawbacks to both.

Just because something is analog doesn't make it better, except in the realm of personal taste. Digital certainly saves studio time.

I don't like most modern digital recordings, certainly, but some of my favorite records from the 90s are early digital recordings.

I think the reason I don't like most modern recordings has more to do with the banality of drum samples, quantized everything, and everyone using the same gear - the fact that most of these recordings are digital is a "correlation=\=causation" phenomenon.
Love this!
"We should all run out and buy Kempers and Axe-FX!!!"
"Why does everything sound the same?"

Back