anderson review/rant

stratotone

Finally got an Anderson. 2006 drop top classic, deep bora bora, 2 humbuckers, floyd rose, Love it. plays great, is amazingly articulate even with high gain, stays in tune great, looks awesome.

BUT....

and I just don't understand on a guitar that's this nice, with the fretwork and attention to detail, how they could fit a floyd nut on it that doesn't go to the edges of the fingerboard (there's about 1/16" inch on either side) and the back of the nut has an 'overhang' where there is no wood - about 1/4 - 1/3rd of the nut just hangs over a shelf. Also, the floyd nut is attached by drilling two big holes in the back of the neck. This is where I saw several 80s guitars crack the headstock if they took a fall just right...

Compare this to my USA Charvels (recent) - I have three, paid $100 more for all three together than I did the one used Anderson. Anderson is a better guitar - plays better, just feels better, sounds better. But the freakin' floyd nut on the charvel FITS! There is no 'shelf' under the nut, it attaches with screws on the top of the floyd so you don't remove as much wood from the neck.

Is this a typical thing for the Anderson floyd nuts? It's a 2006, so it's not like an old one or something, and it's stock - not a retrofitted floyd or anything. It's a great guitar, I'm going to enjoy owning it - but it just seems weird they would get everything right and then miss this.

Pete

NOTE - velcro fly mentioned on the gear page that this is because of string spacing, which I can understand a bit... but to use the old style floyd nut mount with the holes through the neck and leaving a big space under the nut's back edge when they make a special joint to fit the neck to the body that increases surface area... just seems really goofy to me.

I have a GMW like this Pete, the nut is not exactly flush on each end of the board. It is 100% sitting on wood though and at first thought it stange but in the end it works well and is rock solid after 5 years of abuse and 30-40 string changes.

This does bring up something that I have thought about, the scrutiny some put into the fit and finish of guitars and high expectations. Yes there are very high standards held for some guitars and SOME companies deliver in spades when it comes to fit and finish like Hamer, Huber, Collins, Suhr, and Anderson but in the end it is the sum of all parts that make or break the guitar.

I am done with the Pebble Beach concours fancy smancy blue ribbon beauty contests, lets see how it has held up over 5-10 yers of abuse.

Digital Jams":6g8ttybc said:
I am done with the Pebble Beach concours fancy smancy blue ribbon beauty contests, lets see how it has held up over 5-10 yers of abuse.

Interesting Jams, I think the same way sometimes. Even though companies such as Gibson and Fender have been putting out lower quality products lately, I think that's what makes them what they are, the finer instruments (the ones that are flawless) last a life time.

I've had my MIA strat for 14 years and it still plays as good as my 1 year old custom shop Mayer Strat.

Digital Jams":owa6l8hh said:

I couldnt agree more. I've had Andersons, Tylers, PRS's, Suhrs, etc with the fancy smancy tops. While very nice guitars where some played and sounded great and some didnt.... I'm so done with that now that I have found a guy in Nashville who will build me exactly what I want. I stumbled upon one of his builds which is a relic'd out white strat and I couldnt be happier. Plays great and sounds even better and built very well at no where near the cost I paid for these other guitars. Also I dont have to worry about banging the finish or watching $2000+ walking out the door if it were stolen. Honestly it's one less thing I have to think about when playing out.

I had a custom built Drop Top with a Floyd nut that was the same.

Its just the way it is, I think.

I too asked Tom about it after my guitar arrived and was told it was not overlooked when the guitar left the shop, its just the way it is...

I wish I still had that guitar sometimes, but my trem days are long over.

ejecta":19dt031r said:
Digital Jams":19dt031r said:

I couldnt agree more. I've had Andersons, Tylers, PRS's, Suhrs, etc with the fancy smancy tops. While very nice guitars where some played and sounded great and some didnt.... I'm so done with that now that I have found a guy in Nashville who will build me exactly what I want. I stumbled upon one of his builds which is a relic'd out white strat and I couldnt be happier. Plays great and sounds even better and built very well at no where near the cost I paid for these other guitars. Also I dont have to worry about banging the finish or watching $2000+ walking out the door if it were stolen. Honestly it's one less thing I have to think about when playing out.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy a beautiful guitar and respect what it takes to create it but I am just not as important to me as it once was. I have played crazy beautiful guitars that cost close to $4000 and was scared to hit the top with the pick.

I prefer the screws to go thru the back of the neck....never had a neck break there. Those top mount nuts tend to move a bit while using the trem. But they are easier to install. Both have their pros and cons. I've never had or played a Floyd Anderson to see how its done. I've had guys want one size smaller floyd nuts to keep the strings closer together, not any big deal....

My 95 Hollow Cobra is beat to hell now...sounds and plays incredible. It would probably be the 2nd to last guitar to go if I had to sell stuff.....

Digital Jams":28ala2ya said:
ejecta":28ala2ya said:
Digital Jams":28ala2ya said:

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy a beautiful guitar and respect what it takes to create it but I am just not as important to me as it once was. I have played crazy beautiful guitars that cost close to $4000 and was scared to hit the top with the pick.

Oh love good looking guitars too. There was that red Suhr in the classifieds with a great top that had me drooling but Im happy with what I have and I dont have to scared about scratches or dings.

Note on the black floyd nut, how it fits. I'm not talking about width - just that the entire bottom of the the nut mates to the bottom of the neck. This is a 1099 list Charvel SoCal guitar.

Now on the chrome floyd nut, note the overhang on the back of the nut. I'm not even bitching about the shim underneath it (note the charvel didn't need one, btw) but look at the overhang. This is a $3800+ Anderson guitar.

Boggles my mind. The rest of the Anderson is world class, and it plays and sounds as good or better than anything I have ever owned.

Pete

Attachments

• charvelfloyd.jpg
    charvelfloyd.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 1,681
  • andersonfloyd.jpg
    andersonfloyd.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,712
Greazygeo":2okig7g3 said:
I've had guys want one size smaller floyd nuts to keep the strings closer together, not any big deal....

I prefer this myself....but I would think that you can't just use the same fingerboard neck dimensions to accommodate this. Otherwise you get the same gaps at the nut he mentioned PLUS gaps at either end of the fingerboard from the E strings. Jackson does this actually and it's one reason why I just don't like playing them anymore.

stratotone":2zgihpe6 said:
Note on the black floyd nut, how it fits. I'm not talking about width - just that the entire bottom of the the nut mates to the bottom of the neck. This is a 1099 list Charvel SoCal guitar.

Now on the chrome floyd nut, note the overhang on the back of the nut. I'm not even bitching about the shim underneath it (note the charvel didn't need one, btw) but look at the overhang. This is a $3800+ Anderson guitar.

Boggles my mind. The rest of the Anderson is world class, and it plays and sounds as good or better than anything I have ever owned.

Pete

Its almost like the TA needs that extra length to get enough string pull, angle if that makes sense, before the tree. The Charvell you can see has a rather steep string pull between the nut and the tree, the Anderson no so much. But the locking nut may take care of that I dunno.

I just don't see why the anderson has the overhang - you can't tell me that the neck couldn't have been shaped to fit the freakin' floyd nut. On a guitar that's that expensive, it just kills me. Again though, the TA rocks... I'm going to enjoy playing it. But on a guitar that everything else is so meticulous, its disappointing.

Digital Jams":bohmyohp said:
Maybe for the Buzz tuning stuff??

Nah Scott, I think the tuning system moves it 'closer' to the first fret if I remember... anyway, mines the same...
my guess its how an where they join the rod combined w/ headstock design. my guess their using the same basic specs whether or not it's getting a locking nut and thats all the room they could afford... But I'd think in terms of sustain, since this IS a contact point, it SHOULD have a little more meat there, even if just to make me feel better after a serious outlay of $$... Whatever, my Andy sounds great, plays awesome, and I havent ripped the nut off with any Vai-like Floyd work, so it's all good.... so far... :LOL: :LOL:

Digital Jams":1b9yt2vu said:
This does bring up something that I have thought about, the scrutiny some put into the fit and finish of guitars and high expectations. Yes there are very high standards held for some guitars and SOME companies deliver in spades when it comes to fit and finish like Hamer, Huber, Collins, Suhr, and Anderson but in the end it is the sum of all parts that make or break the guitar.

Here's the deal...

This Floyd nut install is stock and standard on all Floyded Anderson guitars. I had the same question on mine - its an 1 5/8 Floyd nut mounted on an 1 11/16 neck. Anderson uses this nut width on all Floyded guitars as he feels this size provides the optimum string spacing at the nut. He thinks the taper of the neck otherwise leaves the outer E strings too close the the fretboard edge and prone to drop off. Mega annoying really, but I got over it pretty quick by just selling the guitar and buying a regular TA non Floyded Strat. That seriously is the only issue I can come up with re: these otherwise magic guitars.

HGainiac":3qi83rqj said:
Digital Jams":3qi83rqj said:
Maybe for the Buzz tuning stuff??

Nah Scott, I think the tuning system moves it 'closer' to the first fret if I remember... anyway, mines the same...
my guess its how an where they join the rod combined w/ headstock design. my guess their using the same basic specs whether or not it's getting a locking nut and thats all the room they could afford... But I'd think in terms of sustain, since this IS a contact point, it SHOULD have a little more meat there, even if just to make me feel better after a serious outlay of $$... Whatever, my Andy sounds great, plays awesome, and I havent ripped the nut off with any Vai-like Floyd work, so it's all good.... so far... :LOL: :LOL:

Maybe that is why he bolts them through the neck, for the sustain due to the way he mounts the nut?

Have huge respect for Anderson and he knows WAY more than I so I will stop playing devils advocate :LOL: :LOL:

WOW .. when I was talking about the ESPs I meant just a tad off. What you have on your guitar is ridiculous IMO.

Back