Any tips for dialing in Carvin Vai Legacy heads/cabs? What are they based on?

N

Nigel

Guitarist in a group I'm jamming with has one, but he's got a big POD board in front of it and it sounds all processed. Are these worth messing with?

I liked the Legacy that I had for a while. Darker voiced and shine for Bogner'ish lead tones. Had a hard time dialing in a cutting rhythm sound though.

Mine sounded very organic so the processed sound you are hearing must be the preamp section in the POD maybe?

I liked the Legacy that I had for a while. Darker voiced and shine for Bogner'ish lead tones. Had a hard time dialing in a cutting rhythm sound though.

Mine sounded very organic so the processed sound you are hearing must be the preamp section in the POD maybe?
Yeah. Other guy has a Marshall Origin 50 and 4x12 but it sounds weak too. My little Zinky and open back 1x12 with 16 ohm UK V30 owned the room just plugging my LP type Brian Moore straight in. Odd, right? Too much processing and preamp gain on their part methinks.

assuming you are referring to the original legacy, the brown one
its a beast of an amp and is very loud
first thing I would do is get that pod board out the equation
definitely not a processed tone

assuming you are referring to the original legacy, the brown one
its a beast of an amp and is very loud
first thing I would do is get that pod board out the equation
definitely not a processed tone
Okay cool. Gotta get these guys to go straight in and dial in some base tones.

zinky is a cool amp
I had a blue velvet that was badass
The Legacy has a thick low
mid thing going with a clean clean channel
Line level loop I think so may not get along with pod there either

I owned the Legacy 1 for a bunch of year. Loud frickin amp. I liked it much more with 6L6s. Plus it paired much better with a front loaded cab. I had it paired with a VHT fatbottom 2x12. Gave it more presence. 6L6’s gave it a bigger less nasally sound. Fun amp to shred on. Wasn’t my first choice in metal. But it is a fine amp. Never had a problem ever with mine. Liked the legacy more than the x-100b I owned. I probably shoulda kept it. Just played my SPLAWN way more, so sold it.

I own many amps and just picked up a Legacy on a partial trade plus cash to me. I use to have a Legacy half stack back in 1999.

This amp sounds incredible but you do need to use something similar to Vai’s settings to open the amp up.

Pres 7, Treb 7, Mid 5, Bass 7, Gain 7 and use a boost in front but don’t cut too much low end out. I use a Buxom Boost with the Tight dialed in slightly. Great amp, prob won’t keep it but I’m enjoying revisiting it while on the honeymoon phase.

I had a Legacy halfstack for years. A boost is a must if you're playing hard rock/metal; amp is just too flubby and dark on it's own. Great for leads but not for heavy rhythms in my opinion

Clean channel is amazing so it makes a good pedal platform.
This^^^^ Legacy is a rock solid amp. Carvin cabs are underrated big time in my opinion. I used the Tonefreak Abunai 2 to boost mine all the time. Clean channel on the legacy is probably the best I've heard in an amp.

This^^^^ Legacy is a rock solid amp. Carvin cabs are underrated big time in my opinion. I used the Tonefreak Abunai 2 to boost mine all the time. Clean channel on the legacy is probably the best I've heard in an amp.
Very underrated amp indeed. I think most make the mistake (I did back in 1999) and set the EQ at 12:00 and make judgment from there. That’s pretty typical. With a 250p/100k tone stack and no bright cap, it results in a creamy smooth, toothy growl and it cleans up exceptionally well but…..also causes it to be rather warm. Get that treb and pres above 2:00 and it opens right up. It’s not a metal amp, it’s a refined classy high gain rock machine with a world class clean.

Reverb from what I remember was world class 3 spring (fender normally is 2 spring) long tail lush verb, but mine isn’t working unfortunately.

In comparison, I never did play the Legacy 3. I did plugin to a Legacy II at a carvin store back in the day, and didn't think it was anything special.

Back