Anyone ever mod their Dirty Shirley?

Rick Lee

I have the 40w combo and took a few months off from it when I got a Marshall 4010. Fired up the Friedman this week and, well, I'm back in love with it. Threw in a SS rectifier plug-in and a pair of Winged C EL34s today and I'm wondering if I need to throw a bright cap into the circuit. I think I'm going to have Sour Mash build be a head shell for this. I was running it through a 2x12 today and, as great as it sounded, I kind of think with the bass on 0 and the treble on 10, it's still a little too dark. Add a bright cap the master pot, or what?

Fired up the Friedman this week and, well, I'm back in love with it.
Can't count how many times over the years I've done that. I think you are wise to hold on to that amp a bit longer.

Dave is a kind and knowledgeable soul. I'd bet you could work something out with him for tweaking that DS further to your liking.

Your post makes me curious about the DS.

I can email Dave directly, but kind of wanted to put this out there in public. I kind of think a bright cap could help this out. Of course, my aging ears could just be losing the ability to hear the highs. But someone please tell me how to add some brightness.

If you don't crank the gain too high then yes a bright cap can help that circuit. Also, removing the deep cap heaps clear the low end.

Very simple and reversible tweaks - give them a go.

Reactions: Geo
I have the 40w combo and took a few months off from it when I got a Marshall 4010. Fired up the Friedman this week and, well, I'm back in love with it. Threw in a SS rectifier plug-in and a pair of Winged C EL34s today and I'm wondering if I need to throw a bright cap into the circuit. I think I'm going to have Sour Mash build be a head shell for this. I was running it through a 2x12 today and, as great as it sounded, I kind of think with the bass on 0 and the treble on 10, it's still a little too dark. Add a bright cap the master pot, or what?
No problem biasing up EL34’s?

Back