Awesome Kiss Bar gig from ‘73

skoora

I don’t know who this drummer is, playing in time, nailing transitions and singing in key but it can’t possibly be the guy Paul Stanley describes in his audiobook. 😂
Even funnier with Gene and Paul constantly going out of key. Fun gig though. Young, hungry.

oh man, I just realized this is off Carl’s YT channel…lol

Last edited:
I don’t know who this drummer is, playing in time, nailing transitions and singing in key but it can’t possibly be the guy Paul Stanley describes in his audiobook. 😂
Even funnier with Gene and Paul constantly going out of key. Fun gig though. Young, hungry.

Peter was awesome in the early days. His drumming on Alive 1 slays. (From what I've read, the drum tracks are basically the only thing they kept when fixing it up in the studio.) He's the reason I started drumming. Ace is why I started playing guitar. After they got big, Peter rushed really bad on many of the tunes when playing live. They'd start Detroit Rock City at one tempo then Peter would come in playing faster. Inhaling Scarface sized piles of Bolivian marching powder will do that. LOL They still did a lot of kickass gigs after they got big, but damn Peter rushed a lot.

Last edited:

I like that version of "Firehouse", minus the cowbell solo at the end. LOL "Life in the woods" was a horrid song.

Last edited:

Yup, I put this KISS show up years ago. I played at that place, The Daisy 3x that I remember, in ‘74 and ‘75. It was in Amityville, a few blocks away from the murders in the Amityville Horror house. We played there 2x in August, ‘74, 3 months before the murders.
1714557641888.png
1714557704458.png

Peter was awesome in the early days. His drumming on Alive 1 slays. (From what I've read, the drum tracks are basically the only thing they kept when fixing it up in the studio.) He's the reason I started drumming. Ace is why I started playing guitar. After they got big, Peter rushed really bad on many of the tunes when playing live. They'd start Detroit Rock City at one tempo then Peter would come in playing faster. Inhaling Scarface sized piles of Bolivian marching powder will do that. LOL They still did a lot of kickass gigs after they got big, but damn Peter rushed a lot.
Yep. Much like Ace he went downhill after the fame started.

From my "I did stay in Holiday Inn Express " last night psych evals from reading all the books and from Lydia Criss's comments, Peter was a very unhappy vindictive person. Probably struggled with some depression as well. And when intoxicated from whatever wasn't a fun person to be around. With fame came some money and the ability to do whatever an ingest whatever and he went right down the toilet. After Alive II, that was it for Peter. His talent and playing obviously suffered.

It's safe to say Ace was a functioning alcoholic for most of early years in Kiss until he wasn't functioning anymore. His talent and especially his playing suffered...early Ace was special because the guy had a knack for coming up with great leads. Paul has always complimented Ace as well in his playing until he went off the deep end.

I'll never have a beef with Gene and Paul when it comes to those two because if anybody has ever been in a band on any level with people who are constantly fucked up, what a nightmare. And what's crazy is the rationale you'll come up with for dealing with them because your band might have a good thing going. Been there done that. Can only imagine how that is compounded when your whole career depends on people who are messed up.

Last edited:
Pretty cool!..lots of energy..our bands current jam space is actually where Kiss played in like 1973 also.

I kind of deep dive into Kiss interviews and audiobook clips on YouTube and there’s a cool one with Bill Aucoin, who was their initial manager for a lot of years. Interesting to hear his perspective of the members. He seemed very fond of Ace.

Back