AxeFX Ultra vs. TriAxis

kasperjensen

So the curiosity has finally got the better of me, and I have been looking at the AxeFX Ultra.
It seems to be a really neat unit, for whatever style one might play... and apparently possesses tube-like feel to it. I am however a little bit weary of this statement, as I have been fooled before :doh: into thinking something could replace my beloved tubes.
Now I am wondering if there is anyone out there who was had experience with both the AxeFX and the TriAxis, and if so, what is your verdict?
They are priced quite close to each other, so I am unsure which would be better value in the long run.
Keep in mind, that I already have effect processors and pedals coming out of my hiney, and tube power amps, so I am simply looking for a great all round preamp.

Any help will be much appreciated. Not as in, I will send you a race horse as a token of gratitude, but my most sincere thankful thoughts would go towards you. :D

The Axe FX can get you the tones you hear in the Triaxis and the same is not true the other way around. Regarding feel I doubt you will find that to be an issue, but that is a try it before you know type thing. The Axe FX is the better deal because you not only get the tones of the Triaxis but many many more. Then add in effects, rout ability, etc... you get much more for your money.

I've had both and loved my Triaxis. That said, I have had a Standard for a few years now and there wasn't once that I missed my Triaxis.

I have never owned the AxeFX but I have owned a TriAxis.

YMMV, but I never got the sounds out of the TriAxis that I could from a true Mark IV or Mark IIC+ (I've owned both).

The TriAxis gives the "shell" of the base tone from these amps, but not the whole enchilada. I'd go with the AxeFX hands down.

marvcus":35966yb6 said:
I have never owned the AxeFX but I have owned a TriAxis.

YMMV, but I never got the sounds out of the TriAxis that I could from a true Mark IV or Mark IIC+ (I've owned both).

The TriAxis gives the "shell" of the base tone from these amps, but not the whole enchilada. I'd go with the AxeFX hands down.

I totally agree with what you said. I had owned the Mesa Studio and Quad Preamp and purchased the Triaxis wanting to get those tones and have the convenience of MIDI. It had great tones but was just the shell for these. I was also running the Mesa 2:90 Power amp with it. I would say without the 2:90 the Triaxis is not worth the time as it added a lot of the tonality needed to get closer to the other Mesa Amps. YMMV but that is my .02. Definitely get the Axe FX IMHO!!

I didn't care for the TriAxis. I also had a Studio and a Quad and liked both of them better then the TriAxis.

Back