Best books for learning & understanding scales/modes.

One thing I've learned is books are cool and all but I learn better through watching and listening. Truefire has a tremendous amount of great lessons that I have been enjoying.. you can still sign up for all access for $99/year. Heck of a bargain IMO.. much less than a month's worth of lessons and they cover all styles.

This an older thread, so not sure where you are on your quest now. Although I have a masters degree in music, I still appreciate the simplicity of scale and chord diagrams like most guitarists. This book by Don Latarski is hands-down the best single source I have seen for practical beginning theory and beyond that isn't expressed in standard notation. There are a lot of quick shortcut approaches out there...so, I caution against any system that just puts little black dots in boxes--without chord or scale tones. It's ideal if you start learning why the shapes are arranged the way they are so you teach your brain and fingers how to fish! So, instead of seeing little black dots when you look at guitar in your mind, you want to begin to see R (for root), 3 or b3 (for 3rd), etc. of chords/scales. The Latarski book(s) can accelerate this learning process bigtime.

Last edited:
This an older thread, so not sure where you are on your quest now. Although I have a masters degree in music, I still appreciate the simplicity of scale and chord diagrams like most guitarists. This book by Don Latarski is hands-down the best single source I have seen for practical beginning theory and beyond that isn't expressed in standard notation. There are a lot of quick shortcut approaches out there...so, I caution against any system that just puts little black dots in boxes--without chord or scale tones. It's ideal if you start learning why the shapes are arranged the way they are so you teach your brain and fingers how to fish! So, instead of seeing little black dots when you look at guitar in your mind, you want to begin to see R (for root), 3 or b3 (for 3rd), etc. of chords/scales. The Latarski book(s) can accelerate this learning process bigtime.
I just received mine in the mail. Looking forward to checking it out. Hopefully, some of it sinks in.

AKBidOhl.jpg

Reactions: rsm
Hello all,

I've taken a break from playing for a few years (shame on me; career and a kid will do that to you!) and am slowly getting back up to speed playing. I've played for many years but have never really crafted my lead playing. I've been on a huge 80's kick lately and love some tasty 80's leads.

I want to challenge myself and finally learn all the notes on the fretboard, all the basic scales/modes (as well as understanding what a mode is and how it relates to a scale), and learn how to apply that to my playing. I'm not necessarily interested in learning to sight read, just the theory that relates to playing.

I basically want to understand how the scales work, where they come from, and how the modes derive from them.

I know there are tons of books out there, but any recommendations would be very helpful. I'm also not opposed to learning online.

thanks!

Most of what you're describing is fretboard visualisation. That is, knowing the notes on the fretboard and what scales and chords they appear in relative to what you're playing.

Then there's the theory that underpins all that, which is what you're asking about when you mention musical application.

When I was studying jazz, I just learned chords and scales and inferred the rest. I always felt my fretboard visulisation was a weak point of my playing in the sense that it hindered my improvising because I was too dependent on licks and patterns. The CAGED system mentioned on the previous page is one system that seeks to improve fretboard visualisation, but Tom Quayle just launched a course and app using a so-called 'two-point system' that is a promising alternative. As I understand it, it aims to improve your understanding of note relationships and patterns only between two notes at a time, to create a roadmap that is more flexible and simplified than learning chord shapes and scales in numerous positions.

I haven't bought either the app or the course yet and can't provide a review, but this looks like exactly what I was missing in Jazz school. The fact Tom is one of the best improvisers in the world and has been working on this system for years merits a closer look, in my opinion.

Here's a video where Tom discusses the system in broad terms.

I have 2 spots left for my theory course on online : unlock the modes fr , 100 percent. Plus it’s fun af . Hit me up and you will grow fast

I don't know if Holdsworth ever released Guitar Lesson 02, I never got through Guitar Lesson 01. :doh:

Back