Best locking tuners for a LP Standard.

I read an article in Guitar Player years ago that said even the cheapest tuning machines would keep a guitar in tune if it were strung up and brought UP to pitch always, NO exceptions. The author maintained that upgraded tuning machines were unnecessary most of the time. I’ve followed that advice and never had tuning problems on Les Pauls (or most other non tremolo guitars) since. YMMV.

The new Kluson's would be my recommendation.
It should be noted, that until the Kluson locking tuners came out, installing any other brand of locking tuners on a USA Gibson with standard Klusons required reaming ( or enlarging ) the peg head holes. A major pain in the ass, with the potential to split the peg head if not done correctly.
The new Kluson's drop right in, as they have the same geometry as the traditional Klusons.
I've installed 2 sets so far, and they seem very good.

Also want to mention: in almost every locking tuner thread, there will be at least a few posts suggesting they are not necessary, and proper nut slotting and / or tuning method will eliminate most tuning issues. This is accurate. The majority of tuning issues can be traced back to the nut.

However....... I still use locking tuners on all my guitars because of how much easier they make string changes.

Edit: If your Gibby came with Grovers or other, than you may be good for a direct swap.

Last edited:
Back