Best Torque Wrench For Under $300.00 USD?

Mark Skid

I need a 1/2" drive TW to tighten the crankshaft pulley on my Ranger pickup. I'm going to be using it to torque the lug bolts on our F150 as well, which require 150 ft-lb of torque. I usually just give 'em a tap with an air gun, but I want to make sure these things are done correctly. Snap-On tools are preferred but are too expensive, even used.

Last edited:
150 ft-lbs is two grunts on the wrench.

I'd look at the Harbor Freight reviews. They're not bad and for something like a crankshaft pulley I'd be comfortable with it.
My brother's also had good luck with Kobalt tools from Lowes.
Or...find a friend with one :D

All great recommendations... Thanks! I ended-up scoring a $650.00 Matco Digital 1/2" TW for $299.00 shipped. It's used, but looks really good. Comes with the molded plastic case as well. I have the option to return it, so... ;)

Last edited:
I work on harleys that are worth 100k with harbor freight shit. It`s not the wrench its the wrencher.
I need to redo the head gaskets on my '02 Dyna. I don't need the 1/2" for that, but it may still come in handy. I have a Snap-On digital 3/8 TW that was nearly ruined due to my idiocy. That's right... I forgot to remove the cock-a-doody batteries! I didn't want to get another digital, but the price seemed right for what it is. The thing I like about the digital is how accurate they are. Not that a pound or two matters, but still.

When I rebuilt the top end on my Dyna, I wasn't sure that I had the pistons in the forward direction, and without a scope, I ended-up removing the heads. Now that the .030 gaskets were squished, I needed a new set. Instead of ordering a new set, I used stock TC gaskets which as you know are .040 or .045 thickness. It runs great, but the cams would do better with the additional compression. If I go that route, I'll send the heads out to be CC'd. If I do, I'll likely go with .035 gaskets. I don't know how much expansion there is with cast 95" flat-top pistons, but I figure why risk having to do it again.

150 ft-lbs is two grunts on the wrench.
As I don't want to hassle with tying-off the crank pulley, I'm going to approximate the air wrench torque by experimenting with the lug blots on the F150. Go low, then incrementally raise the air pressure... Once I reach 100 ft-lbs, I'll soak the bolt with blue, then drive it into the crankshaft.

people that refuse to believe it`s the player not the gear are fucking stupid

Think it was John Suhr who told a story about being in a studio where EVH was in another room wailing liking only he can.
Suhr decides to head over to say hi and Eddie had been playing a headless Steinbrenner slab into a stock studio Marshall.

His point being what you said.

Last edited:
Can't believe how expensive they are now. Bought the snap on Cadillac of torque wrenches (new) back in the day for roughly 200 dollars.

Back