Billy White Gear?

Wayniac3

I have read that on Don Dokkens "Up from the Ashes" there were some Jose heads on tour (and possibly in the studio), as well as Marshalls with Guv'nor pedals and possibly some rocktron/ADA stuff.
Anyone know what the reverse strathead "marble finish" or the red 2HB strat were? Both featured in the Mirror Mirror video.. thanks for any help...

Wayniac3":1kex117r said:
I have read that on Don Dokkens "Up from the Ashes" there were some Jose heads on tour (and possibly in the studio), as well as Marshalls with Guv'nor pedals and possibly some rocktron/ADA stuff.
Anyone know what the reverse strathead "marble finish" or the red 2HB strat were? Both featured in the Mirror Mirror video.. thanks for any help...

I know that Billy used Robin Guitars a lot back then, so i guess it's possible that guitar may have a been a custom built Robin guitar?

Thanks - I did see alot of Robins in his arsenal.
I could have sworn I read it in some interview years ago,. and it wasn't a Robin.. it was some Texas Luthier

Wayniac3":2ctno894 said:
Thanks - I did see alot of Robins in his arsenal.
I could have sworn I read it in some interview years ago,. and it wasn't a Robin.. it was some Texas Luthier

You could very well be correct :thumbsup:

I have an Up From The Ashes tour book which has a lot of live photos, where you can clearly see Billy White and John Norum's guitars. I'll double check tomorrow, but as far as i remember Billy's reverse headstock Superstrats had no logos on the headstocks. Also the fret boards had extra frets (27 frets i think) and the board was slanted at the end like you see on Hamers and Caparisons.

Found an old thread - Arvidson guitar? Evidently owned by Mark Cameron according to another thread here on RT? But man - I could swear it was a Texas built guitar.
Brad - if you see this - can you ask him when you speak to him? BUT - if you look at the videos of Cameron demoing with that stripped H/S strat - the Marble has a similar looking neck - it is a 22 fret square end.. but it does not match the body contours of Marks guitar.
Also - I found a small pic where that guitar I am asking about does not have the slanted fretboard ends as mentioned in this thread. I think the marble was the same one that was in the pic of Norum, Baltes, and White in Guitar World back in the day
Anyway - the search for info continues - I appreciate all the help so far
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40169

Edit: That may be Norums guitar he is speaking about in the post?

The Arvidsen Mark Cameron owns/owned belonged to John Norum. I know this for sure. I saw that guitar many times in Marks shop and talked to him about it several times.

I'll ask around town here. I'm surprised any of y'all even know who he is! He was a great player. Played with his bands quite a few times in the 90's. He had gone exclusively to Les Pauls and NMV Marshalls. Had amazing tone. Great singer and songwriter to boot.

Cool man - thanks. I had his solo discs as well - very cool/good for what it was, but I was hoping for a chop-fest like the UFTA disc.

I thought he was great on the Don Dokken album and was shocked that he did the majority of the solos live...no small matter when John Norum is the other guitar player. I picked up his Billy White Trio cd after that and was sorely disappointed.

I have a vague recollection of him using some Chandler parts guitars but that could have just been rumors/hearsay at the time.
What ever happened to the guy?

I guess I'm a huge fan of underdog guitarists.
I was SHOCKED when i saw them live and he took those solos. I was a Norum fan at the time (though pissed he "replaced" Lynch as I was also a huge Lynch fan lol). That band was amazing live - got to see thamn at Toads Place.
I hear he dropped out of the music biz and is living a buddhist lifestyle or something? Just internet rumors.. but I have seen/heard nothing
Another guy I wish we heard more from was Chris Arvan (filled in after Gilbert Left Racer X)

Wayniac3":2wafrf41 said:
I guess I'm a huge fan of underdog guitarists.

Me too. There was nothing cooler than discovering new, unknown or obscure guitarists back in the day.

killertone":37wkgy97 said:
I'm surprised any of y'all even know who he is! ...and songwriter to boot.
Watchtower FTW! :rock:

(although i gotta admit, my fav guitarist from Watchtower is Ron Jarzombek. ;) he's gotta be the poster child for underdog shreddy progmetal-y guitarists.)

Wonder if Mark Erlwine built that guitar...He's a local Austin luthier that built the Lazer travel guitar, as well as guitars for Billy Gibbons and SRV back in the day.

Nope - not Erlwine. Found it through an old friend. His site looks like he is busy and he may not have time, and he may not be building guitars anymore. Gonna contact him to see what he can tell me about it, and see if/what he gets for guitars if he is still making them. ;)

Old thread alert ! I LOVE the tones on Don's Up From The Ashes...one of my all time top 5...and the playing kick ass too, but DON...OH God...listless as always !

Billy White and John Norum are two of my favorites, in fact changed my playing as much as Lynch and Malmsteen. :thumbsup:

A very credible source tells me the Up from the Ashes amp both used in studio was not the Marshalls seen in official videos. The cleans I would guess are DSP. Peace...♫

Old thread.

On the "Up From The Ashes" album cover, apart from Arvidson, Music Works guitars was mentioned.

Since John Norum owns the Arvidson, did Billy White use this other guitar ?

Back