blue book on H&K Triamp

RJF

Did a search and found a bunch of info about the Hughes & Kettner Triamp, but not much info on what they are going for used.

I have a guy wanting to trade a Triamp for my Powerball.

Is there a price difference between the MK1 and MK2? Anything else?

You can do a search on ebay for completed listings and see what they're selling for. Not under $1k I know for sure.

They're both awesome amps but VERY differently voiced than the Powerball. Retail on the TriAmp MK II (which is what I have) is around $3800 US but you should realistically be able to get one in decent shape for somewhere around $2000-$2500, and that doesn't speak to the quality of the amp, just that there are a lot of them out there, so they're not that hard to find. A TriAmp Mk I (still a KILLER sounding amp--s'what made me get my MK II) goes anywhere (in my experience) from $850 for a beater to $1500 for an excellent-condition unit. The MK I that I played NAILED the old Scorps-type tones. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there are two versions of the MK I: One with 6L6 power valves and later ones with EL34 power valves. I played the 6L6 version. All MK II TriAmp models are EL34's I believe.

What is it about the Powerball that you're looking to get away from, and think you'll find in the TriAmp? If you want, let me know and I'll post a clip so you can hear the TriAmp MK II. I just got a Zoom Q3 and could stand to take it for a test drive.

Cheers,

racerevlon":3gftdnga said:
They're both awesome amps but VERY differently voiced than the Powerball. Retail on the TriAmp MK II (which is what I have) is around $3800 US but you should realistically be able to get one in decent shape for somewhere around $2000-$2500, and that doesn't speak to the quality of the amp, just that there are a lot of them out there, so they're not that hard to find. A TriAmp Mk I (still a KILLER sounding amp--s'what made me get my MK II) goes anywhere (in my experience) from $850 for a beater to $1500 for an excellent-condition unit. The MK I that I played NAILED the old Scorps-type tones. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there are two versions of the MK I: One with 6L6 power valves and later ones with EL34 power valves. I played the 6L6 version. All MK II TriAmp models are EL34's I believe.

What is it about the Powerball that you're looking to get away from, and think you'll find in the TriAmp? If you want, let me know and I'll post a clip so you can hear the TriAmp MK II. I just got a Zoom Q3 and could stand to take it for a test drive.

Cheers,
Well, with Ebay, I found MK1's going for around or less than a grand and MK2's going for $1000-1300. It's not an amp that I sought after, it's a trade offer that popped up for my Powerball. I wouldn't mind trading up for something a hair more marshally anyway I guess.

The MkII is supposed to be much better than the MkI, but it's probably a matter of taste. They revoiced the MkII and changed from 6L6es to EL34s.

I owned a MkII and it's a very versatile amp, with an amazing loop and works great with the extra Midi module (pretty much any switch function can be programmed).

It's a great allrounder, but it doesn't get the tonal quality of let's say an XTC or a Steavens Poundcake, which have similar versatility but more depth in tone IMO.

If you can get a MkII with the Midi module for 1200$ in the US it would be a killer deal I guess (it's even cheaper than you would get one in Germany, which is where they are the cheapest usually and go for 1100-1500€).

racerevlon":1onspw2j said:

Cheers,

I agree they are VERY differently voiced amps, shuold take some EQing/getting used to. Hehe, for once I'm glad to live in England for something, a local store (not GAK) is a H&K dealer, these heads are about £2000 new. AL sig aswell.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/72328

Back