Bogner Ecstasy Problems - Anyone Experienced These?

glpg80

Had to pull my ad as I found some unknown problems. I was thinking of keeping it anyway - forced my hands on this one.

I Want to see if others have experienced these before I begin troubleshooting.

The mute circuit isn’t muting 100% - there’s still sound passing ever so slightly to the speakers. In 98 was this expected performance or is there a bad LDR or a relay not operating as expected?

Channel 2 is cutting in and out ever so slightly on palm mutes and I do mean you have to have an ear to catch it - very fast but noticeable and completely out - not a volume drop. Could be tube related yes, but tubes usually either work or do not work in my experience. The tubes are of unknown age in the amp. I do plan on retubing soon. Possibly a bad socket connection?

Thanks ahead of time! I’ll pull the chassis and put it on my bench when I get a chance, still working on the Marshall.

Last edited:

glpg80

I don’t think it’s the footswitch. I think it’s the presence pot wiper making poor contact to the resistive trace on palm mutes causing the phase inverter to be improperly grounded, thus the volume drop in experiencing. I believe it just needs a good potentiometer cleaning and lubrication and it should be good to go.

As far as the footswitch is concerned, I’ll see if I can think up a reliable solution so that the LED itself doesn’t become the defacto problem solver down the road. Preventative maintenance so to speak.

glpg80

This may sound silly but what condition is the LED on the foot controller in? They do go bad.

I had an issue with the loop on mine. It ended up being a wonky LED.
Is it all LEDs on the non-MIDI momentary buttons or all LEDs in general?

Ventura

No clue, but if the LED goes out you will definitely find yourself not able have full functionality. Strange, no doubt.
Because with the foot-switch installed into the circuit of the amp - it's just that - installed into the circuit of the amp; an LED is not just a light, it's a diode - thereby being an ON/OFF switch to current within the circuit.
/end