Bogner XTC 101B vs Bogner Shiva

lessarti

If you could pick one for YOUR style of playing, whatever it may be or whatever you need, choose one of these two beauties and say why/what it is that makes you have to flip between the two?

Very curious to hear peoples perspective on differences or likeness :thumbsup:

I'm a 101b guy myself. I bought a Fish preamp instead of a Shiva or Uberschall. The only reason I'd buy a Shiva is for a nice clean on top of a JCM800ish gain...the Fish sounds really great for my clean needs and the gain is more to my liking as well - a little more modern than the Shiva.

My 101B is perfect. Took about a year to fine tune, but it's the sound I've alway had in my head.

I must be the odd-man-out........I have a new Shiva 6L6 head & I love it! In fact, it's been seeing more stage time than my Diezel's lately............ :yes:

I've own all three XTC 100b, 101b & Classic and by far my Shiva (EL-34 PCB: 03) although modified by M. Cameron, is the best sounding Marshall JCM800/Plexi to Fender clean that I've ever heard! It has an awesome voice that in my opinion my XTC's just didn't have. I thought my 100b sounded the best of the three but the EFX-Loop wasn't very good. The 101b sounded good but way to compressed? better for Legato because the Distortion would lag almost fighting when going into 32nd notes etc. Too much of a drop for me. The Classic in distortion was less compressed but more Sterile and it needed some compression so you can dig into the notes (if that makes sense) all three XTC's sounded similar in clean, kind of Vox like, which I prefer more of the Fender fullness. My Shiva comes in between the 101b & Classic for compression, which is perfect for me I can go from David Gilmore fluid to Di Meola speed with no problem, the Clean Channel has a unique Fender to almost Dumble slight break if I want to play more Blues, where as stock the clean doesn't break up well without a pedal. The Distortion Channel is a Monster, ton of Gain on tap, the tone controls can go from lower-mids to upper-mids kind of like my Soldano SLO's but even more ferocious. My Shiva has been extremely reliable, simple to tweak, sounds killer at low volume to performance level. I love the way that I can be in a club and have the Master volume around 2 in distortion, and it sounds like it's opened up around 8 without sounding like preamp distortion (and without an attenuator). For me it would have to be my Bogner Shiva, incredible amp :)

Back