Bridge pickup on Dimebag Darrell's Dean ML standard sunburst during Pantera's glam days 1984 - 1986

gruggmanny

Hi, new to the forum.

I'm trying to figure out what pickup Dimebag was using in his sunburst ML around 1984 -1986. What I know is that this guitar came with a Dimarzio Super Distortion originally and it had the zebra colored bobbins as you can see in this picture:

dimebag-darrell-1980s-v0-w6krqjashdic1.jpeg

However, it seems like somewhere around 1983 - 1984 he changed the bridge pickup to a black one with solid pole-pieces not found in Super Disortions as seen in this picture:
tumblr_mrmoqzG6731rwj0u6o1_540.jpg

Now, this guitar is not THE guitar that later became the "Dean From Hell" but a different one and that pickup is not a Bill Lawrence L500XL as it doesn't clearly have the striped poles found in those PUs. There are few clips that IMO highlight the sound of that pickup:

It really has that searing upper-mid tone and compared to the sound of his guitars with L500XL it sounds less gritty, the leads appear more fluid and singing also.

Judging by the completely black PU with solid pole-pieces, the aftermarket pickups available at that time and the really exaggerated upper-mid sound. I think that pickup was a Duncan JB, but I can't be 100% certain. That's why I'm wonderibg if someone here has more info about this guitar or that pickup?

Back