Captor X input monitoring and DAW playback

Gib Son

Sorry if this as been asked before, it s just some little thing, so here it goes, thank you.
The Captor X acts as a standalone unit which is great. So I connect it to the sound card, the usual way, with or without the captor being usb connected to pc, doesn t matter, and I hear sound in the audio monitors via the audio interface, because the audio interface has the monitor knob all the way to the left input monitoring), so yeah, i m hearing the sound fine. This is great because I can go to the DAW and record the signal straight, without needing to use the DAW input monitoring (extra latency). Great, this is what I wanted. Now comes the problem....If I load a track in the DAW, I can t hear it obviously, because the audio interface is in input monitoring, rather than DAW monitoring, which would be all the way to the right. I don t want to set the knob to 12 oclock, so i could hear both daw and input monituring because it is kinda half the sound of both worlds, I dont like that. Many audio interfaces don t have this knob but just a button.... daw/input.....So How do I go about this? Any solution? Thanks ;)

Hi @Gib Son

Ross from Two notes here! It sounds to me like you need to disable the output of the channel in your DAW. This will be you can still hear playback from your DAW and your direct monitoring feed. If you can let me know which DAW you are using, I can certainly point you in the right direction.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Ross

Hi @Gib Son

Ross from Two notes here! It sounds to me like you need to disable the output of the channel in your DAW. This will be you can still hear playback from your DAW and your direct monitoring feed. If you can let me know which DAW you are using, I can certainly point you in the right direction.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Ross
Hi Ross, thank you for being so kind. I purchased the Captor X 2 days ago ;)....I m happy with it, does what is supposed to do, and works fine on my amps.
So, I use Reaper, I suppose the solution whatever it is should work on any DAW.I did not quite get where you are heading to. I can disable the output on the track where I am feeding the Captor. But how can I hear the other track, if the audio card is direct monitoring (I think it s a global thi9ng on the audio card, not per input)....It s a SSL2+.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you very much for your attention.
;)

Hi @Gib Son,

Thanks for the detailed info there! So now you have disabled the output of your Captor X channel in your DAW, try setting the Monitor Mix control on your SSL 2+ to about 12 O'Clock. you should now hear your Captor X straight from your interface and playback of the other tracks from your DAW. Let me know if this works!

Hi @Gib Son,

Thanks for the detailed info there! So now you have disabled the output of your Captor X channel in your DAW, try setting the Monitor Mix control on your SSL 2+ to about 12 O'Clock. you should now hear your Captor X straight from your interface and playback of the other tracks from your DAW. Let me know if this works!
yes, of course it works. Though I hear both sounds on a lower level, as expected. The point is not this. Suppose I had an interface with only a button for direct monitoring on/off, and it is switched to ON, or the monitor mix knob on the SSL is all the way to the left....How could I hear a playback track, that was my goal ;).....Thanks.

Hello @Gib Son . I'm afraid it is not possible to have your interface set to direct monitoring (monitor mix button all the way to the left), and hear the track played by the DAW at the same time.
If you wish to hear the track in the DAW you need to have the Monitor Mix somewhere around noon - you need to mute the tracks where the Captor X's outputs are recorded. This way you'll hear the direct feed of the Captor X (without latency), and the track playing back from the DAW. The monitor mix will allow you to blend the level between the Captor X and the playback track easily.

Or, you do everything in the DAW - the playback track and the Captor X's sound comes from the DAW. You need to put the tracks destined to record the Captor X in direct monitoring mode so you hear them while playing.

Hello @Gib Son . I'm afraid it is not possible to have your interface set to direct monitoring (monitor mix button all the way to the left), and hear the track played by the DAW at the same time.
If you wish to hear the track in the DAW you need to have the Monitor Mix somewhere around noon - you need to mute the tracks where the Captor X's outputs are recorded. This way you'll hear the direct feed of the Captor X (without latency), and the track playing back from the DAW. The monitor mix will allow you to blend the level between the Captor X and the playback track easily.

Or, you do everything in the DAW - the playback track and the Captor X's sound comes from the DAW. You need to put the tracks destined to record the Captor X in direct monitoring mode so you hear them while playing.
Hi...Yes I i know, but that defeats the purpose of zero latency. I ll use my Soundcraft ui24r mixer instead of audio interfaces then. Thank you for your time ;)

Hi @Gib Son, thanks for getting back to us. Just as a point of reference, I have no latency issues using the blend knob on my SSL 2+, providing I disable the track output in my DAW. Please let us know how you get on and if you have any other questions, dont hesitate to let us know!

Yes, I understand. Thanks for being so kind Ross ;) Gonna rock tonight and I ll see how it goes.....Cheers mate for all the help ;)

Back