CCV owners how do are you liking your amp?

jasonP

I basically want you to tell me how much you like/dislike this amp. What about it does it do better or not as good in your opinion then the other amps you own?

Can this amp do the 80's hair tone or what? That is really what I'm after.

It's the ONLY thing I've EVER owned where the Newly Wed Phase had NEVER worn off! And I've had it for over a Year.

Seriously... I'm in Awe Of it Every Time I use it. It never fails to Satisfy or impress me.

I'm a detail freak, I have OCD... And I just can't find anything I dislike about it, or anything I wish it could do better.

Absolutly, Positively, Completely Satisfied! :thumbsup:

Roid RAGE

Totally satisfied with mine. It gets right in the tone zone and is thick and meaty (and chewy). The harmonics are the shiz, all the chugga and low end you can stand and they hold together exceptionally well in the mids and highs and articulates very well, not matter how saturated you dial it up. And, the louder it gets, the meaner - and tighter it gets.

Steve

steve_k":39ve00pv said:
Totally satisfied with mine. It gets right in the tone zone and is thick and meaty (and chewy). The harmonics are the shiz, all the chugga and low end you can stand and they hold together exceptionally well in the mids and highs and articulates very well, not matter how saturated you dial it up. And, the louder it gets, the meaner - and tighter it gets.

Steve
Are you satisfied enough with it to sell everything else and not look back?

Lp Freak":3htm7z9m said:
steve_k":3htm7z9m said:

Steve

Oh hell no. My Bogners are going nowhere. Got a new 20th XTC being built right now too. My Friedman Marsha and Naked are not going anywhere either. So, that's 5 amps that I wouldn't consider selling, plus maybe my old Mesa Marks. Everything else IS going.

Steve

I have played arenas, clubs, you name it with my CCV and it never let's me down and always comes through in spades. For my band, I try to do the big thick Sykes type tone...and the CCV really get's me there!

That said, I love my 3-channel HG Jose just as much as my CCV....it has a different tone buy it's equally as incredible! I just re-tubed my HG Jose last night and it sounded so damn good afterword that it almost brought me to tears.... :LOL: :LOL:

steve_k":2zz3m4ww said:
Lp Freak":2zz3m4ww said:
steve_k":2zz3m4ww said:

Steve

Oh hell no. My Bogners are going nowhere. Got a new 20th XTC being built right now too. My Friedman Marsha and Naked are not going anywhere either. So, that's 5 amps that I wouldn't consider selling, plus maybe my old Mesa Marks. Everything else IS going.

Steve

Hi Steve, are you selling your PT-100, I thought you liked that amp....

steve_k":3o67jxh4 said:
Lp Freak":3o67jxh4 said:
steve_k":3o67jxh4 said:

Steve

Steve
I knew you tell it straight Steve. :thumbsup:

Nico":3fyydnyg said:
steve_k":3fyydnyg said:
Lp Freak":3fyydnyg said:
steve_k":3fyydnyg said:

Steve

Steve

Hi Steve, are you selling your PT-100, I thought you liked that amp....

Yeah.

psychodave":3ahj3aa4 said:
[...]The CCV isn't the end of all amps, but it does so much and covers decades of tones. The biggest thing that separates it from other amps is the power amp options. You can adjust two different switches to get so many different tones...add that to all of the preamp options and you have a lot of choices. My CCV has a pentode/triode switch as well and this option allows more tone shaping of the power amp (I use it to tame some of the crushing bottom end at times). The CCV also has a high power low power switch that changes the feel of the entire amp. High gives you tight tone and fast tracking, low give a bigger feel with a little bit of sag. Now if you get bored with all of these options, you can look to tinker with the effects loop. Add an EQ, to enhance the mids and it becomes extremely fluid to play. Increase the bottom end and you can literally make you vision go blurry :LOL: :LOL:. [...]

Can some of that growl I notice from most of the youtube clips be dialed out a bit? Is there a technical name or reason for that growling sound that some amps have – a bit like the Marshalls in Slayer's first albums?

Mine has no bright switches and is just big and ballsy. Which I believe is just like having those dip switches in the center position?
I think in that position the bright caps are out of the circuit and on my standard CCV's...That where those stayed so....why have em if I wasn't using them eh?? :D

It can do pretty much anything, check out my youtube video's if you get a chance.... i have a 3 part video where i run through all the tones you can hear all the tonal differences.... it's long but if you actually sit down and watch and digest it , youll have a great understanding of all the tones in this box... :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8IfwP-HD7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdozC2Zh ... re=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VYuoIq1 ... re=related

throw on some headphones, kick back and get a beer and take a listen! :D

dawnofdreamx97":s6zssu4t said:
It can do pretty much anything, check out my youtube video's if you get a chance.... i have a 3 part video where i run through all the tones you can hear all the tonal differences.... it's long but if you actually sit down and watch and digest it , youll have a great understanding of all the tones in this box... :rock:

Well, I have to say first that there is nothing "vintage" about the tones emanating from that amp. It also sounds extremely focused to me - but that may be the recording? I'm gauging these tones against my Cornford's per Mark Cameron's comments on the Cornford MK50 amp. Is that that the best clean/crunch tones one can get out of a CCV? Dawnofdreams is a great player, so I think my question is a valid one.

The Cornford MK tone is steeped in the vein of modded Marhall Plexi w/exaggerated low-mids... It is truly a "vintage-voiced" amp. The Cornford MKII 50 H has a clean tone that is unrivaled by all other Class AB high-gain amps IMO. I'm not trying to "bash" the CCV here. I did want to get one - but after hearing these clips, I know that it's not the amp for me. I'm from the school of Heart, Frampton, UFO, Nugent, Aerosmith, Quicksilver MS, Faces, early Stones, Led Zeppelin, early Supertramp, AC/DC, Hendrix, Doors (LA Woman), Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore, Deep Purple, Flying Burrito Brothers, Rush (up to MP), PG era Fleetwood Mac, early ZZ Top, Soundgarden (up to Louder Than Love)... I can't think of a single instance where I would choose a CCV as my amp of choice in terms of my influences.

I expected a much more "open/rounded" tonal character form the CCV. It sounds like the perfect amp for getting those extreme "metal" tones that were popular in the 80's. "Slayer" and "King Diamond" type stuff I guess? It's a great sounding amp for sure; I'm just not getting the "greatest amp ever" comments that I see all over the Cameron room? I think this is hype run totally amuck! I'm calling "no-joy" here.

Echodrive":1wmnprvp said:
dawnofdreamx97":1wmnprvp said:

Well, I have to say first that there is nothing "vintage" about the tones emanating from that amp. It also sounds extremely focused to me - but that may be the recording? I'm gauging these tones against my Cornford's per Mark Cameron's comments on the Cornford MK50 amp. Is that that the best clean/crunch tones one can get out of a CCV? Dawnofdreams is a great player, so I think my question is a valid one.

The Cornford MK tone is steeped in the vein of modded Marhall Plexi w/exaggerated low-mids... It is truly a "vintage-voiced" amp. The Cornford MKII 50 H has a clean tone that is unrivaled by all other Class AB high-gain amps IMO. I'm not trying to "bash" the CCV here. I did want to get one - but after hearing these clips, I know that it's not the amp for me. I'm from the school of Heart, Frampton, UFO, Nugent, Aerosmith, Quicksilver MS, Faces, early Stones, Led Zeppelin, early Supertramp, AC/DC, Hendrix, Doors (LA Woman), Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore, Deep Purple, Flying Burrito Brothers, Rush (up to MP), PG era Fleetwood Mac, early ZZ Top, Soundgarden (up to Louder Than Love)... I can't think of a single instance where I would choose a CCV as my amp of choice in terms of my influences.

I expected a much more "open/rounded" tonal character form the CCV. It sounds like the perfect amp for getting those extreme "metal" tones that were popular in the 80's. "Slayer" and "King Diamond" type stuff I guess? It's a great sounding amp for sure; I'm just not getting the "greatest amp ever" comments that I see all over the Cameron room? I think this is hype run totally amuck! I'm calling "no-joy" here.

Listen to some of PsychoDave's Clips... Bro..

Nick is a Friend... But being that his choice of music is Nu-Metal/Speed Metal/Death Metal... Etc, Etc, Etc... He can't help but to voice his setups with that slant...

When I first heard the CCV it was his, and I honestly didn't like it, it was only cause of the way he sets it up, and the what he plays...

Honestly without question the CCV can cop all the tones you mentioned... I listen to and play Old School Metal...

Sabbath
Dio
Scorpions
Ratt
Motley
Kiss
MSG
Saxon
Iron Maiden
OZZY
Montrose
Dokken
Preist

You get the Idea... And the CCV is my Favorite Amp By A Mile... and I've Had/Played Everything...

Clips Can Never Convey The Power and the Majestry...

The only Answer is to play one for yourself... And do so with a Good Cab Preferably the Cameron

Best,

Roid RAGE

Echodrive":3n9j4h3m said:
dawnofdreamx97":3n9j4h3m said:

I'm going to guess that if you're into Heart, Fleetwood Mac & The Doors then the CCV is not for you. I think it's mainly a hard rock/metal amp and playing "All I Want To Do Is Make Love To You" on it would be a travesty. :doh: ;)

DEWD":1kmlfgnp said:
Echodrive":1kmlfgnp said:
dawnofdreamx97":1kmlfgnp said:

I'm going to guess that if you're into Heart, Fleetwood Mac & The Doors then the CCV is not for you. I think it's mainly a hard rock/metal amp and playing "All I Want To Do Is Make Love To You" on it would be a travesty. :doh: ;)
:LOL: :LOL: I meant Roger Fisher era Heart...

psychodave":lile0vfm said:
Echodrive":lile0vfm said:
dawnofdreamx97":lile0vfm said:

I understand what you are talking about. I always set up the CCV for high gain metal since I already have a stock 67 plexi, 71 and 74 SL's that cant do high gain. The great thing is the CCV can cop the other "rock and roll" bands/songs you wrote about. If you are under the impression the CCV can only do high gain you are completely mistaken. The great thing is that there are tons of amps out there and the CCV won't be for everyone :thumbsup:

Understood... I will look for more clips.

psychodave":2ttu5u18 said:
Echodrive":2ttu5u18 said:
dawnofdreamx97":2ttu5u18 said:

I understand what you are talking about. I always set up the CCV for high gain metal since I already have a stock 67 plexi, 71 and 74 SL's that cant do high gain. The great thing is the CCV can cop the other "rock and roll" bands/songs you wrote about. If you are under the impression the CCV can only do high gain you are completely mistaken. The great thing is that there are tons of amps out there and the CCV won't be for everyone :thumbsup:

I'd love to hear some rock tones from the CCV if you ever get a chance to make more clips. Always dig your stuff. :thumbsup:

Back