Celestion Redback/Vintage 30 blend.

i have a similar issue. i have a marshall 1960BHW and i'm not a fan at all of the G12H30 speakers that are in it. Thinking of Switching to 2 V30's & 2 of the EVH Greenbacks. or Possibly 4 of the EVH Green backs.

I got redbacks myself recently and am pleasantly surprised. At first they seemed in most ways to be yet another bland/flat sounding non-vintage speaker (they still are imho), but then my ears picked up on this really satisfying chewy, creamy thing going on I think somewhere in the lower mids that I haven’t heard matched in any other speaker yet, so now I’m a big fan. The clips made them seem like they’d be too dark and smooth for me, but in person that unique mid character compensates for that

I got redbacks myself recently and am pleasantly surprised. At first they seemed in most ways to be yet another bland/flat sounding non-vintage speaker (they still are imho), but then my ears picked up on this really satisfying chewy, creamy thing going on I think somewhere in the lower mids that I haven’t heard matched in any other speaker yet, so now I’m a big fan. The clips made them seem like they’d be too dark and smooth for me, but in person that unique mid character compensates for that
These have been on my radar for quite a while. The fact that you like them gives me hope

These have been on my radar for quite a while. The fact that you like them gives me hope
I still haven’t tried yet those G12-80’s with 444 cones, so not sure how it would compare to those, but it has a great thing going on in the mids that my other speakers don’t get

So far in my Kerry Wright 412 I tried 2 of them on top/2 Altec 417C’s on bottom and also the Altec’s and Redbacks crossed. Those sounded good, but a bit dark for my taste. Now I’ve got the Redbacks on top with JBL D120F’s on bottom and it’s awesome mix. The Redbacks give the nice low mids and mids and the JBL’s give the huge, punchy lows and high end aggression. Will try soon the RB’s with my 20w GB’s, V30’s and Gold’s to see what works best

I still haven’t tried yet those G12-80’s with 444 cones, so not sure how it would compare to those, but it has a great thing going on in the mids that my other speakers don’t get

So far in my Kerry Wright 412 I tried 2 of them on top/2 Altec 417C’s on bottom and also the Altec’s and Redbacks crossed. Those sounded good, but a bit dark for my taste. Now I’ve got the Redbacks on top with JBL D120F’s on bottom and it’s awesome mix. The Redbacks give the nice low mids and mids and the JBL’s give the huge, punchy lows and high end aggression. Will try soon the RB’s with my 20w GB’s, V30’s and Gold’s to see what works best
Those particular 80s are great by themselves but the least blend friendly Celestion I've had, by far. Their midrange dominance just seems to clash with other speakers. Anyway, by crossed you mean X patterned?

Those particular 80s are great by themselves but the least blend friendly Celestion I've had, by far. Their midrange dominance just seems to clash with other speakers. Anyway, by crossed you mean X patterned?
Yeah I get that. Some speakers can be weird about how they mix with others. The ‘60’s Blues and Crescendo’s can also be like that (and also very domineering). Yes I tried an X pattern with Altec’s as well as having the Redbacks on top and Altec’s bottom, which balanced a bit better. X patterns often balance a little awkwardly to me, but sometimes they can be great IME, but the JBL’s I think complement the RB’s better and I predict the 20w GB’s and V30’s might too

Hey guys!

I am really liking the UK V30/Redbacks blend I have in my splawn 412.

Seems balanced and thick/tight/full.

I've been debating the idea of swapping out the V30s for CL80s. Anyone have this pair? So, I'd have Redback/CL80.

The thing is, I don't want to lose my cut with the band.
Hi, I am thinking about trying redback/v30 combination. How did you mixed them?? X pattern or v30 bottom/redback top?

Hi, I am thinking about trying redback/v30 combination. How did you mixed them?? X pattern or v30 bottom/redback top?
I have that mix in a 212. However, sometimes I think of trying two Redbacks again. My Splawn 412 is Redback/V30 in an X pattern.

I am going to be getting a Stage Craft diagonal 212 and not sure yet what speakers to run.

I wanted to mention that all Redbacks sound great too but more expensive, which is why I did Redbacks and Creamback M-65s in my Bogner 412 which sounds amazing.

Has anyone done a 3 of the same speaker plus 1 different one mix? Might work well if you’re largely satisfied with the cab but wanted to add a touch of bottom via a higher powered bassier speaker while minimizing the artifacts that go along with mixing

Maybe I don't notice those artifacts but I like mixing. A lot of cab and amp builders mix often. Bogner, Mesa, Friedman, etc.

The Redback/V30 combo has quickly become a favourite. I replaced two V30's in my Diezel FL cab and I love it!

Thinking of doing the same with and old Bogner rear load Uber cab

The Redback/V30 combo has quickly become a favourite. I replaced two V30's in my Diezel FL cab and I love it!

Thinking of doing the same with and old Bogner rear load Uber cab
Oh yes...

That's why I have two cabs with this setup. :)
So you'll replace the T-75s with Redbacks in the Uber Cab?

Oh yes...

That's why I have two cabs with this setup. :)
So you'll replace the T-75s with Redbacks in the Uber Cab?
Yes, I would replace the T-75's. That said, I am 50/50. I really love that cab as is. Kinda like my old, well used '99 Mesa cab...just not sure I want to mess with it.

The FL Diezel cab I found too strident and nasal with 4 V30's. The 2 Redback's were the ticket, as they evened out the midrange and actually improved the attack and feel when using it!

That's awesome the Reds fixed your one cab.
I'm on thr fence with my Bogner 212 now.
Need to see if I want to stick to Red/V30 or maybe two Reds. Also have a K100 I could drop in.

Yes, I would replace the T-75's. That said, I am 50/50. I really love that cab as is. Kinda like my old, well used '99 Mesa cab...just not sure I want to mess with it.

The FL Diezel cab I found too strident and nasal with 4 V30's. The 2 Redback's were the ticket, as they evened out the midrange and actually improved the attack and feel when using it!
That’s exactly what they do to that combo, they balance it out with their big, chewy lower mids, and give a fat and punchy response and feel. Redbacks are killers.

Back