cheap amazon guitarparts....

JackBootedThug

MURDERATOR
so I'm redoing this hard tail charvel single cut. New tone nerd pups and brother scottosan hooked me up with new alpha pots as well. I was going to order another bridge with roller saddles and put a new nut and locking tuners on it. I was wondering if anyone ever used the amazon stuff like "musically" or other brands? can't beat the price. if they're decent quality I'm in.

so I'm redoing this hard tail charvel single cut. New tone nerd pups and brother scottosan hooked me up with new alpha pots as well. I was going to order another bridge with roller saddles and put a new nut and locking tuners on it. I was wondering if anyone ever used the amazon stuff like "musically" or other brands? can't beat the price. if they're decent quality I'm in.
The pots I’m sending are CTS, better than Alpha. For a bridges, most are a zinc alloy. Unless your springing for a metric steel bridge (Fabre or the like), I’d say stick with what you have. Look at the construction, not the brand.

I'll second what scottosan said, you're better sticking with what you got. I've bought various parts from amazon. Things like amp handles, corner protectors, various small parts like pickup rings, knobs, and string trees are fine to use. Anything like bridges, tuners, etc. are at best lowest mid tier quality. Most of that is zinc or pot metal and you'll be lucky if it can stay in tune.

Regarding cheap locking tuners, I’ve used two sets of ‘Vanson’ locking tuners off eBay, they are cheap and work pretty good, no complaints. The official seller also sells a lot of Wilkinson stuff so maybe related?

Regarding bridges for guitars I’ve made or assembled I’ve always stuck with known brands that use brass, steel, etc.

Vansons are good, so are the ones from GFS, I’ve used those on a lot of partscasters and they’ve always held up.

Like said above, bridges you’re gonna want to stick with real metal, the pot metal shit always breaks for me and then you’re stuck buying the real thing anyway.

some of the guitarfetish bridge parts seem legit. solid metal anyway....

I've used a few things from them. They have some pretty good pickups. I think they're made by the same people who manufacturer Artec pickups, just tweaked to GFS specifications. I like their Dream 180's (P-90 humbucker) and they have some good sounding PAF style alnico 2 humbuckers. Good mod to those is swap the A2 for an A8

The hardware not bad either. I'd put it as equivalent to OEM or licensed parts that you'd see on a solid mid tier guitar or what you'd get from Wilkinson. The metal used is pretty good quality. The difference from higher quality parts seems to be in manufacture process; cast vs machined, tuner gear ratios, and the like.

Unless you have good woodworking skills as a luthier, I'd stay away from their clearance neck and body section. Outside of that I think you would be okay enough with their stuff

Back