cheap rg550 alternative?

I've got a 2003 570 that I love.. plays great and like a JEM. I have a buddy that collects JEMs and has over a dozen of the different models. I've played them all and it is very similar.. actually they all felt and sounded the same to me. I wouldn't know one from the other if blindfolded.

About 15 years ago I bought an RG350 for $100. This guitar plays and sounds great. Other than the trem it is very comparable to my 570. I really love this guitar. The neck is a little thicker but still feels and plays great. I haven't even changed the pickups. Mine looks just like the one in the video except I have upgraded nothing. They are very upgradable as the video will demonstrate but I've found no reason to upgrade it yet. This YouTuber is a phenomenal player.

I have one of these. Totally legit. I put two Evolution (neck/bridge) and it's a very decent guitar. Bought mine new when they released the first batch. Fit and finish was very good on my model year.

The 520 is basswood. The 520QS has the mahogany body with a quilted Sapele veneer top. I'd go for the 520QS because basswood is ASSwood and mahogany sounds far better.

Also both of those guitars don't have a single coil pickup in the middle. They have a 5 way switch that gets similar tones.

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/RG520QS

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/RG520

I've had a few 520s. several with the quilted top and a gray pewter one that your linked referenced.. they were all mahogany.

FWIW, I used to have a '98 MIJ RG570 that wasn't really anything to write home about.

Not to say it wasn't a good guitar, but it wasn't Prestige-level.

IMO, it was around the same level quality wise compared to an average LTD 1000 series. It just had a really thin neck that was really comfy. But IME, the trem wasn't all that awesome. It actually broke (literally) on me at one point.

FWIW, I used to have a '98 MIJ RG570 that wasn't really anything to write home about.

Not to say it wasn't a good guitar, but it wasn't Prestige-level.

IMO, it was around the same level quality wise compared to an average LTD 1000 series. It just had a really thin neck that was really comfy. But IME, the trem wasn't all that awesome. It actually broke (literally) on me at one point.
I found a beat one local but it had a neck repair. And did I say it was beat?

The RG’s with pickguards look weird to me. MIJ 570’s are the ones I like. Tried a 450 awhile back, didn’t care for it. The lower RG’s are not that good imo.

The RG’s with pickguards look weird to me. MIJ 570’s are the ones I like. Tried a 450 awhile back, didn’t care for it. The lower RG’s are not that good imo.
agreed - mine was a beater for the most part and had to do alot of stuff to that low budgie RG to make it shred.

my last mod went awry when i tried to install a 2 post trem to replace the stock creaker and over time, one of the posts pulled through the tender b-asswood to the trem cavity cause i drilled the hole too close to the edge. she lived a good life.

vintage me and my college roomie rockin our ibbyz at a kegger at our socal crib—so blessed i survived that full hessian party era🤌

IMG_3722.jpeg

Back