CHESS: Any players? Wanna game?

TheRealDonnie

Banned
Getting back into the game after a few decades break.

Attachments

• 264235064_10227040422779715_2618950526698187044_n.jpg
    264235064_10227040422779715_2618950526698187044_n.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 49
Used to love it as a kid.

These days it does my head in not long after I attempt a game, not that I've tried playing since the '90s. IMHO you've gotta have "hungry neurons" to want to give it a go and stick with it.

Great game. It's been around for a long time and has become a notable part of the vernacular with good reason.

These days it does my head in not long after I attempt a game.

Long version
Back when I was 12-13 I lived with my dad. He had already been into chess for years and right at that time the game became
hugely popular in the US due to us finally beating our cold war enemy the Soviet Union. He put me under his wing and we
played all the time. Kept playing via postcard chess through the years until maybe 15? years ago when he basically said the
same thing you did above. He spent his last 5 years in a haze (mostly happy) of dementia.

Recently read that studies of the effects of chess on holding off neural degeneration are showing positive signs so I have incentive
to get my head back into it. So far I've inherited just about every physical ailment the guy had so I got nothing to lose (easy jokes aside).

Short version
Chess good food for brain.
Must keep eating.

When I say 'played all the time' I mean like him taking me towns over to after hours book stores/libraries
where a bunch of dudes would be hunched over boards in ridiculously smoky dim lit back rooms.

Think it was in the rule book back then that if you played chess you also had to chain smoke.

In hindsight, not too healthy there Dad! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Use to play alot as a teenager. Then found a chess partner shortly after getting married. We gave it up after a few weeks. Our games became ridiculously long. 5-6 hours.

Back