COD Module?

The COD (California Over Drive) module has been available for a while. Email Frank at info@egnater.com for pricing and ship dates or phone the shop at 248-541-9100.

Bruce

It's our take on the Dumble, Fuchs, TwoRock thing. Pretty cool and different sounding module. Great harmonics. Very smooth and dynamic. Sounds really good even at very low volume, too.

I have the COD module for my MOD 50 head and I find it to be a bright, crisp sounding distortion with emphasis on midrange. I actually find myself using the VOX, and the BASSMAN modules mixed with either the SL2 or the MOD HI GAIN more than the COD.

Hey Spak....are you saying you find the COD brighter/crispier than the VX or Bassman modules?? What do you mean by "mix" the different modules?

Ya I took the darkest guitar and the vox was extremly bright and the COD was very midrange dominate, but the high end was very controlled.

Bruce peeked in and I said now this is bright...VOX and this is tame...COD..same settings! I really like the domant mids on the COD. Lacks a lot of low end but for my style of rythym playing it is the one! I thought the Vox would be and was until I played the COD! The SL2 is beyond huge...at low and moving air volume.

I thought the COD was early boogie based, till Bruce set me straight! Having never played an early boogie who knows...I just love the mids on the COD...Just like a Fuchs or Dumble tons of midrange on the overdrive channel is awesome but if it was 2 channel you would hate the clean channel with that amount of mids....
When you use the eq on the COD it just makes the change more dominant, not necessarly more of it!
As both Tony (Mctallica1) and I know, if you play the modules you can not find the amp you want! Then maybe just change a section of the module to your taste and you are done!

The VOX channel 1 is very bright - but it sounds like a great VOX AC 30 TB. That sound is not the most useable for me - since it tends to take your head off with treble. But it IS the Vox sound. And you can roll off the highs and get a broken up semi-clean rhythym tone which has nice character. Get a Rickenbacker 12 string and you'll be in Baby Boomer Big Chill era heaven. VOX 2 sound is pure guava. Very creamy and better that what a Vox sounds like driven to high gain. At least any I have played. I find I like this setting quite a bit - for rhythym and some leads.

The COD setting #1 reminds me of a Boogie Mark IV combo. Not a lot of lows - but focused and bright. Good for getting a very tight distorted tone. COD Channel #2 reminds me of a cranked Fender Prosonic amp that I used to have and played for several years. The COD does distort well at low volumes and it does have prescence in the overtones. For me using a MOD 50 and having only 2 modules to choose from - I find that I like the other modules better as they fit my style of playing (modern rock - 70's, 80's and some classic rock stuff).

The thing I really dig about the Egnater amps is the complexity of the tone you get. I find it very hard to put a pedal in front of this amp - as it really does mess with the tone. It really is a superior amplifier for serious tone freaks. I can only equate it to people who know and like good wine. There is a purity and complexity to the sound that really stands above most of the other amps I have played. That includes the ones the modules emulate.

Bruce - you need to make and sell that multi unit Module rack add on that you were telling me about at NAMM this year. That way we can have it all. If I could run my rig with 6 modules - I would. ;)

The add on (or stand alone) two module rack is in the works now. It will still be a few months before we are done but it is "next in line" for new product developement.

The add on , or single rack space unit would be awesome. What I would love to see on this unit and/or future M4 Rack Units is a programable second global master volume. Then you would have all the eight module sounds as rythm sounds and eight more as solo sounds.
Damn us guitar players want it all don't we.
Just my two cents worth.
Pete

:|::QBB:
bruce egnater":07f2b said:
The add on (or stand alone) two module rack is in the works now. It will still be a few months before we are done but it is "next in line" for new product developement.

That sounds great!

Just another suggestion for thought...I love my MOD50, and two modules is enough for me at a time. However, I am a true "lightweight lifter" when it comes to playing live—I want my whole rig in a bag, if I can do it. In fact, my last live show, I brought my guitars and a Roland VG-88, and plugged right into the soundboard. Far from ideal sound, but I'd injured my back, and I had to breakway from the 12-space shock rack of death, or the tube Marshall heads...

I'm looking at playing some live shows again this summer, and man o' man, having a 1-U Egnater add on rack with a 1-U power amp in a rack bag sounds like the dream setup...

Right now, the only 1-U tube power amp in production is the mesa boogie 20/20. Rocktron has a solid state amp in production, and then there are some older Marshall 20/20s and hybrid ADA Micro-tubes that show up on Ebay.

I can only assume that there is very little demand for 1-U power amps, or else Marshall, Mesa, and everyone else would be making them. Bruce, would it be worth your time to develop a 1-U power amp, even if it was only a custom order or limited run power amp?

Sorry for hijacking this from the COD topic. It's a killer module, BTW, one of my favorite!! :)

Orren

Author of:
* Guitar Rig 2 Power
* Logic Pro 7 Power
* Logic 7 Ignite

Back