considering mod 50 or m4

blindmuddy

I've been considering one of these but am kinda tenative since I haven't actually played one. My question is for you guys with the mod 50, since Fender and Marshall use different power tubes what power tubes are you guys running to get the best out of both your marshall and fender type modules? I'm also just considering the M4 with the Randall power amp that can switch between tubes(although I swore I'd never go back to rack gear) I wish I could play one of these around here but being in BFE that really doesn't seem to be an option.
Chris

I am Running JJ 6L6GC most of the time in the MOD50. Honestly the sound a bit more "modern and rounded tone wise on both fender and marshall modules but I dig it for all around live use.

Thing is with the built in bias points it really takes like 5-10 mins for the tubes to cool down and all of 5 mins to pull and replace tubes and rebias. So for studio and or practice time I switch back and forth from Svet Winged C 6L6 for fender tones, the JJ 6L6GC for Dumble and Modern gain tones and then to Mullard EL34 for Marshall tones.

The M4 into a tube power amp sounds decent but I could tell (blind test) it was a pre into a power amp. The MOD50 sounds like a well built tube amp. You can not tell that it is a pre plugged into a power amp. If that makes any sense.

Hope that helps

It might sound odd, but I'm running THD Electronics Yellow Jacket Triodes. These are adapters that let you run EL84 tubes in your MOD50. The cool thing about the Triodes is that they emulate the effect of running only three of the five pins in a five-pin tube (like an EL34 or 6L6). That has the effect of really changing the tone, making it far more even and smooth sounding. It also lowers the wattage even more.

Since I use my MOD50 for recording, the fact that it's now only 10W in high power mode, and about 2W in low power mode, is perfect for me. And the sound is killer—nearly right in between an EL34 and 6L6. If you play clean, you'll loose all that clean headroom by dropping the wattage that low, but I highly recommend if the reduced wattage will work for you. :)

Orren

I have both the rack and the MOD50 head,the sound quality on both is great /I run the rack with 6L6gc and E34ls.The MOD I run with 6L6gc,I run a G system with the rack and is pretty stellar.I guess what I'm trying to say is that is a tough ass ?I love my MOD,SHIT I'm no help,need more coffee,they both are insane units but a forklift must be included in rack equation!! :D

:|::QBB:
jmgman69":91da2 said:
I have both the rack and the MOD50 head,the sound quality on both is great /I run the rack with 6L6gc and E34ls.The MOD I run with 6L6gc,I run a G system with the rack and is pretty stellar.I guess what I'm trying to say is that is a tough ass ?I love my MOD,SHIT I'm no help,need more coffee,they both are insane units but a forklift must be included in rack equation!! :D
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to see you mention using it with the G system as that's what I've got that I'd be using with it.
Which power amp are you using with the m4??
Thanks
Chris

Get the preamp with the matching RT2/50 power amp, and you can assign different preamp channels to one of two different poweramp channels... in other words, run your fender stuff to 6L6s and your marshall type stuff to EL34.

Pete

Back