Cutting a blank for a body….

JackBootedThug

MURDERATOR
My grandfather planted some American chestnuts and the blight has finally killed my last two…which are huge btw. I do have an old stump that has been sitting there for years. I thought I would do a test cut on it first. What is the best way to cut a blank? Horizontally or vertically? Best grain pattern would be horizontal I assume. Also you talk about something good for smoking for bbq…American chestnut is awesome.

Also what style of build would you do? Body only, no necks…. I have a good amount of wood working experience but I am a little too intimidated to do a neck….

I will quarter saw blanks out of the stump this weekend. Not really necessary for the body though right? Which would show more grain? Flat sawn or quarter sawn?
not really sure, I know Kiesel, and many others are doing quartersawn necks for more stability and resistance to flexing, warping, and temperature changes. above my skill level!

Flatsaw the body blanks for sure. Spend the time to dry it before you get all horny, if you don't regulate the moisture as it acclimates it's almost certain to warp on you.

Chances are, if you can mill lumber and route a neck pocket, the sky is your limit on body shape. Make something you want to look at.

Flatsaw the body blanks for sure. Spend the time to dry it before you get all horny, if you don't regulate the moisture as it acclimates it's almost certain to warp on you.

Chances are, if you can mill lumber and route a neck pocket, the sky is your limit on body shape. Make something you want to look at.

Good advice.

Good advice.
I'm not doling it out of brilliance, I learned the hard way lol. That being said, don't rule out laminating the neck with flatsawn..
20240609_154431.jpg

I learned the hard way too :ROFLMAO:

I'm in the middle of a tele deluxe project
If nothing else, the disappointment after all the hours of meticulously putting everything together is experience gained that you're not soon going to forget lol.

What kinda specs? I'm swamped with projects, but as soon as I have the time, I'm doing a tele. I'm undecided between a Cabronita and hss.
Yeah I’m just doing a body. This stump I have is ancient. I was just wondering the best way to cut it to get some nice grain and figure.
Flat saw is the answer you're looking for.

If nothing else, the disappointment after all the hours of meticulously putting everything together is experience gained that you're not soon going to forget lol.

What kinda specs? I'm swamped with projects, but as soon as I have the time, I'm doing a tele. I'm undecided between a Cabronita and hss.

Flat saw is the answer you're looking for.

I'm doing a no guard cabronita with soapbars, inverness green nitro, tele switch plate

i just sanded and sealed it and im waiting on the graceys

I'm doing a no guard cabronita with soapbars, inverness green nitro, tele switch plate

i just sanded and sealed it and im waiting on the graceys
Beaut, definitely post that when you get it together!

The only part I'm completely decided on is the neck. Maple, ebony - honestly, probably richlite if I can source it, 22 ss frets, 12"-16" radius, 60's slim taper profile. It's gotta be bound, I've never done binding before so I have some work ahead of me.

Body is going to be a dark sparkle green or purple. I should probably stop thinking before I hit up warmoth...

Beaut, definitely post that when you get it together!

The only part I'm completely decided on is the neck. Maple, ebony - honestly, probably richlite if I can source it, 22 ss frets, 12"-16" radius, 60's slim taper profile. It's gotta be bound, I've never done binding before so I have some work ahead of me.

Body is going to be a dark sparkle green or purple. I should probably stop thinking before I hit up warmoth...

I couldn't find a soapbar tele with nitro, under 25.5" scale, etc. That's why I'm building it.

I'm debating doing natural binding or tape-off style with mine - there's no way i have the time and equipment to do an actual binding.

I'll definitely post pics! I have a thread going where I was asking for nitro advice

Back