D'Addario XL Nickel Wound EXL145 12-54

I'm too much of a pussy for those gauges these days but I do very much enjoy the EXL110W. That would be 10-46 with a wound third, I used to play 11's and 12's in D standard depending on the guitar. I don't really go lower than Eb presently. I really like D'addario XL series though, great feeling, consistent strings imo.

I play in drop B-flat. I had a PRS Custom 24 which had Ernie ball baritone 13-72's on it and it sounded thick as heck. I had the guitar modified several times to fit that gauge and once it was all set-up rite it was an amazing guitar, perfect for me. I also had an SD JB in the bridge position. It was my perfect guitar. Then of course my house got robbed and they took it away from me, I still miss that guitar really bad.

Rite now i'm playing through a Gibson Les Paul Custom with D'addario 13-62's on it, Lundgren M6 in the bridge, thinking about going EMG? Its a fuckin sick guitar :rock:

Kinda weird how the tension on the gibby uses a somewhat lighter gauge than the Custom 24 did, 24:75 vs 25 on the PRS scale.

I want my PRS back!!!

Love my Gibson!!! :D

Flavatrocious":feh7jism said:
I play in drop B-flat. I had a PRS Custom 24 which had Ernie ball baritone 13-72's on it and it sounded thick as heck. I had the guitar modified several times to fit that gauge and once it was all set-up rite it was an amazing guitar, perfect for me. I also had an SD JB in the bridge position. It was my perfect guitar. Then of course my house got robbed and they took it away from me, I still miss that guitar really bad.

Rite now i'm playing through a Gibson Les Paul Custom with D'addario 13-62's on it, Lundgren M6 in the bridge, thinking about going EMG? Its a fuckin sick guitar :rock:

Kinda weird how the tension on the gibby uses a somewhat lighter gauge than the Custom 24 did, 24:75 vs 25 on the PRS scale.

I want my PRS back!!!

Love my Gibson!!! :D

I just switched over to the new EMG X-Series pickups and OMG!

These things freaking slay!

I have an 85x in the bridge and a 60x in the neck and it's a thing of absolute beauty and brutality! I like them much better than their old standard models. They're much more open and dynamic while even more crushing IMO; highly recommended! :rock:

I like D'addario myself. 11-49 for standard drop D. Anything thicker just gives the 6th string that blunt sounding "Gonk Gonk" when you chug. Hate that.

D-Rock":19fvwjyn said:
I like D'addario myself. 11-49 for standard drop D. Anything thicker just gives the 6th string that blunt sounding "Gonk Gonk" when you chug. Hate that.

Depending on your pickups and EQing, this should not be an issue...

Crunch Master":2qu9wsky said:
D-Rock":2qu9wsky said:

Depending on your pickups and EQing, this should not be an issue...
I don't think so. It's a result of the tuning and string thickness. No freq's are being cut or boosted and there is no clarity loss. A .54 for drop D or D standard might be tolerable, but not any lower tuning IMO.
You're obviously a JFAC fan, and they are playing in D standard on Ruination. Do you know what gauge they use? They seem to keep everything in check just fine with their gain. Still articulate, clear and cutting. No "Gonk"

Not sure what strings they used on that, but I can tell you that this set I'm using in standard D/dropped D is working perfectly. :rock:

Crunch Master":2u9xjcaw said:
Not sure what strings they used on that, but I can tell you that this set I'm using in standard D/dropped D is working perfectly. :rock:
I might just try a set out then :thumbsup:

Back