Did you know there is a pilot shortage?

There were a fair amount of pilots that refused the vaccine, who went to private flight companies, or got out of the industry altogether.

Reactions: rsm
Not surprising considering who their CEO is...

For as long as I can remember there was ALWAYS a waiting line for commercial airline jobs usually filled by highly qualified Military pilots that far exceeded the required logged hours of flight to qualify for commercial flying. Good luck with fresh newbies out of this United academy, I wouldn't want to live around and airport or be on a plane piloted by them especially with DIE requirements being invoked. Yes... I intentionally spelled DEI incorrectly.

Last edited:
But hell Boeing all of a sudden can't install 4 bolts in the door plug in their 737's from the factory these days. This doesn't give me any confidence flying at all...........there used to be redundant Quality Control tracking and sign offs for safety related parts and so far I haven't heard a peep of who was actually responsible for not doing their JOB.

NTSB says key bolts were missing from the door plug that blew off a Boeing 737 Max 9​

February 6, 20243:11 PM ET

WASHINGTON — The National Transportation Safety Board says four key bolts were "missing" when a door plug blew off an Alaska Airlines flight in midair last month. That's one of the findings from the NTSB's preliminary investigative report released Tuesday.

The Boeing 737 Max 9 jet had departed Portland, Ore., and was climbing through 14,800 feet when the door plug explosively blew out. It resulted in a rapid depressurization and emergency landing back at Portland.

No one was seriously hurt, but the Jan. 5 incident has renewed major questions about quality control at Boeing and its top suppliers.

In its 19-page report, the NTSB says four bolts that were supposed to hold the door plug in place were not recovered. Nevertheless, investigators say "the observed damage patterns and absence of contact damage" on the door panel and plane itself indicate the four bolts were "missing" before the door plug was ejected from the plane.

Every major trade in the USA is short on qualified labor.
They don't seem to desperate to train people at a decent wage. I though about getting out of IT (can't stand it) and get licensed for a trade. I would learn fast and work circles around everyone, but nobody will give anybody the time of day, so fuck em. I already do carpentry, plumbing and electrical for a side carpentry business, but I can't go deep on the electrical and plumbing as I'm not licensed and can't get insured for either as well, because I don't have the license.

They don't seem to desperate to train people at a decent wage. I though about getting out of IT (can't stand it) and get licensed for a trade. I would learn fast and work circles around everyone, but nobody will give anybody the time of day, so fuck em. I already do carpentry, plumbing and electrical for a side carpentry business, but I can't go deep on the electrical and plumbing as I'm not licensed and can't get insured for either as well, because I don't have the license.
If my brother in law can get his contractor license I know you can. He’s a rock with lips.

Well they want the labor....hence all the slave labor coming across the border, the corporations and companies don't want to pay American workers what they are worth or demand for the skillsets. What they don't want is an American workers realizing how badly they are getting fooked by stagnant wages, crap healthcare benefits, no more company paid pensions where you can actually retire. The plan is for you to die working before you actually claim you pension or social security because the politicians stole all the money out of those trust funds years ago...feel free to look up when CBO projects S/S bankruptcy. Wages haven't advanced proportionate across the board to inflation in over 30 years.

Last edited:
I remember a story pre-covid, that China was hiring commercial airline pilots with experience. Depending on experience, pilots were offered 2x, 3x, 4x or more of their current "western" salaries, the salaries were tax-free (not taxed) in China, with health insurance, assistance in finding housing, and other free benefits.

If I was an experienced commercial airline pilot, offered 3x or more, tax-free, I'd take it. :dunno:

Back