Diezel Einstein initial review

duncan

First, the amp physically.

This amp is built remarkably well. I mean, on par easily with my Bogner, my old Bad Cats or my old Soldano SLO. The difference is that its built well but without feeling like it was "overdone" like with my Bad Cat or Soldano. Those amps felt like they were built with a "beefed up" build, meaning they were overbuilt to withstand the deepest circle of hell. The Diezel is just as tough, easily, but in a much more subtle way. The build quality isn't found behind stiff, robust switches and 1/2" thick screws holding everything in place. The Diezel feels like more of a elegant durability in how smooth the knobs turn, how snappy the switches feel, and so on. Its hard to explain.

This is the first amp I've ever owned that's had external bias points. :eek: AMAZING. Last night, I went to the jamspot and spent a couple hours just experimenting with different tubes (EH 6CA7's, =C= SED EL34's, JAN GE 6L6's, and Ruby EL34B's). I was having a blast. Every amp should have external bias points. Seriously.

Now for how it sounds...

:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

I'll copypasta what I've typed before about how it compares to my XTC:

As far as how it compares to the XTC? The Bogner's got a more flexible and (to my ears, at least) better clean channel, for starters. On the dirt side, the Einstein is a bit darker, more punchy. With the Deep control set less than half, the Einstein is tighter than the XTC. It doesn't hide your sloppiness as much as the XTC, that's for sure. haha. Lead playing comes through better on the XTC, but it still sounds great through the Einstein, its just not as liquidy.

The clean channel's 3 modes are fucking unreal. Clean (setting 1) isn't bad, but its not AMAZING. Texas mode (2) is probably the most versatile mode I've encountered on any amp. It can go from a nice blues-y clean to a nice mid-gain rock tone.

Mega mode (setting 3) is one of my favourite settings on this amp. It can go from a nice jangly not-so-clean to all out balls to the wall without sounding forced (if that makes sense). Crazy versatile.

The presence control works better than most amps I've played. I keep it right around noon. Off, the amp sounds dark and moody, almost muddy, but that can be corrected by turning up the treble and mids slightly. Cranked, it brightens up nicely without ever getting harsh.

The deep control, like the presence control, is awesome. Full on, you can tell your bass player to take the night off; off, you still have ample low end, but its more of a thinner bottom end, ala a Marshall boosted with a stock SD-1 (note: I'm not saying the amp sounds anything like a Marshall, more that the low end sounds like an 800 boosted with an SD-1: tight and sweet).

I've jammed the Einstein out in my band twice now at pretty loud volumes (the first time, the other guitarist was using his boosted 1977 Hiwatt Custom 50, the second time, with his 5150) and both times, the Einstein sat perfectly in the mix. At times, I've noticed my XTC not get buried, more just blend into the mix. I could still be heard and I sat nicely in the mix, but at times, I would sort of blend in. The Einstein manages to blend in and stand out all at the same time. Its strange, but damn nice.

I haven't tried out the Parallel loop yet, but the Serial loop is incredible. Easily as good as my XTC's. I'm running my Timefactor and ML2 through it.

The compensated line out sounds the way my amp sounds like through my speakers. Its crazy. I just gave it a try for shits and giggles, and ran the compensated out through my PA last night. I turned the master volume down nearly all the way, and just controlled the line out volume. Instead of sounding like a bag full of assholes like most line outs do, this one sounded nearly exactly what my amp soudns like though my cabinet. I couldn't understand it. haha.

The master volume on this amp blows my Bogner's out of the water. As with most amps, my Bogner has a little bit of the "hair trigger" syndrome, in that it goes from nothing to loud-talking volume with nothing in-between. The Diezel's master volume has the smoothest taper and response I've ever heard/felt.

I'm sure I'll add more to this review the more I play this amp, but yeah, I love this fucking thing.

The more you experiment with the Einstein, the more you will enjoy it.
I like mine with KT77's, and NOS Telefunken and NOS Mullard preamp tubes.
I am using lower powered preamp tubes as I don't need all the volume the amp offers, but I like a violinesque singing tone, which mind delivers easily.

Glad you like your amp :thumbsup:

Congrats! And the same thoughts came to me when I turned on the Einy for the first time :)

A question/problem here, because you mentioned that Compensated Out works even when your Master Volume is zeroed. It is not the same with my amp, though. When my master volume is zero I get no signal from the Compensated Out. I should increase it to have something out from the Compensated Out.
So I am wondering is there something wrong with my amp - what could be it and how to check/fix it? I am using a simple guitar cable from the Compensated Out to a DI input of a mic preamp (really nice one :) ).
Niki

Hi synchu,

same with mine, but I think. there is nothing wrong, since Peter explained to me by the time I bought it, Einstein is working this way.
Maybe Peter made a change on the newer models.

FWIW, my master wasn't all the way down. It was down to a whisper. Sorry if I misspoke.

Welcome to the Einstein family :rock:

I have had about 10-12 high end amps over the past 5-6 years, and yeah this one is the best!!!

The customer support also blows everyone out of the water!!!!

BTW - prepare for the Herbert, VH4, and Schmidt gas :doh:

GuitarGuyLP":2349plje said:
Welcome to the Einstein family :rock:

I have had about 10-12 high end amps over the past 5-6 years, and yeah this one is the best!!!

The customer support also blows everyone out of the water!!!!

BTW - prepare for the Herbert, VH4, and Schmidt gas :doh:

Haha. You're not the first person to warn me about the potential gas. I think I'll be okay in that regard. I tried a VH4 when I was in Hollywood back in October, and while it was an incredible amplifier, it just wasn't for me. I don't need anything as aggressive sounding as the Herbert, and the Schmidt I know nothing about. :]

The Einstein though....:inlove:

I saw Shaun Lopez (guitarist in the band Far) play an Einstein the next night and I was absolutely blown away. THAT'S what started my gas for an Einy. haha.

Thanks very much for your review!
Sounds like you are very happy with the setup!

I'm actually at the point ready to move up to a VH4 or a Herbert or move to an XTC. It'll just depend upon if I can sell my head for a fair price. It's dead mint and has the 3 mode mod done to it with a custom footpedal for switching the three modes, channel and master. IT works fabulous!

:)

:doh: I THOUGHT MY EINY-GAS WAS DONE AND OVER WITH..!!!

The forum is hell on my bank account :aww:

V. :yes:

When I played the Diezel Einstein a few times, it was just not as satisfying as my 20th Bogner (EL34s) to play.....the Bogner sat in the mix much better. The Diezel Einstein was too scooped no matter how I set iy. I agree with a lot of the thoughts that the Diezel Einstein just doesn't sit in a band mix as well as a good Marshall or Bogner....plus the Bogner is much more fun to play and can cover any style other than maybe thrash metal which I hate anyway, LOL. The 20th Shiva has an insane amount of gain. I find amps that are too gainy, lose a lot of the organic qualities I love. To me it is all about Marshall in a band mix....and Bogner really gets it done. The Shiva has more than enough rich low end. Any more, and it would get swallowed by the bass anyway.

The master is great on both amps. If I had to choose, I would say the master on the 20th Shiva is a little better. I decided to go for a Splawn Streetrod as myc next amp over the Einstein. Almost grabbed an Electradyne but in the end, can never bond with Boogies.

Why do you bump your opinion, that its "all about Marshall in a band mix"?

I've modded a couple of Shivas (not the 20th though) for
- better switachability
- more gain
- better cleans
- a useable loop

Nice to hear that the 20th seems to be better, but personally I had no probs to cut thru a mix with an Einstein - when using V30s.

richedie":3j3q4kog said:
When I played the Diezel Einstein a few times, it was just not as satisfying as my 20th Bogner (EL34s) to play.....the Bogner sat in the mix much better. The Diezel Einstein was too scooped no matter how I set iy. I agree with a lot of the thoughts that the Diezel Einstein just doesn't sit in a band mix as well as a good Marshall or Bogner....plus the Bogner is much more fun to play and can cover any style other than maybe thrash metal which I hate anyway, LOL. The 20th Shiva has an insane amount of gain. I find amps that are too gainy, lose a lot of the organic qualities I love. To me it is all about Marshall in a band mix....and Bogner really gets it done. The Shiva has more than enough rich low end. Any more, and it would get swallowed by the bass anyway.

The master is great on both amps. If I had to choose, I would say the master on the 20th Shiva is a little better. I decided to go for a Splawn Streetrod as myc next amp over the Einstein. Almost grabbed an Electradyne but in the end, can never bond with Boogies.

I also like Bogner, Splawn and Marshall. Thanks for Your opinion.

How do the Diezel guys feel about the ability of the amps to cit a band mix. There complaints of the Einstein being too scooped to cut, especially with a second guitar in the band. The other complaint is the hi-fi nature of them, lacking an organic tone and feel. I spent very little time with one so I am curious from guys who have lived with these amps. I have heard the Einstein in a band setting and I don't know what speakers the guy was using. I use V30s in one cab, G12-65s in another, and CL80s/G12K-100s in another. I need to spend more time with one because I think it would be a nice addition to my amp collection which right now is only a 20th Shiva and PWE Event Horizon.
Also still checking out Splawns and that new Mesa Royal Atlantic.

What i've been using lately is Channel 1 'clean' with the Gain and Volume cranked + my RMC FK-1 Compressor with both Volume+Sensitivity @ 3:00. Awesome old-school amp tone.

richedie":xwtdka5p said:
How do the Diezel guys feel about the ability of the amps to cit a band mix. There complaints of the Einstein being too scooped to cut, especially with a second guitar in the band. The other complaint is the hi-fi nature of them, lacking an organic tone and feel. I spent very little time with one so I am curious from guys who have lived with these amps. I have heard the Einstein in a band setting and I don't know what speakers the guy was using. I use V30s in one cab, G12-65s in another, and CL80s/G12K-100s in another. I need to spend more time with one because I think it would be a nice addition to my amp collection which right now is only a 20th Shiva and PWE Event Horizon.

Dear Richedie,

old Diezel models have a more dark voiving and it needs
to turn up the presence a bit. I don´t like the trebly sounds
too much but found a good compromise at least. If an amp
feels cold and sterile it´s not only the design. Maybe it
helps to put some EL34 or KT77 in and bias it to 70%.
If You are not a metal head, some V30´s or Greenbacks
in a rearloaded cab would maybe the "woody" choice for You.

Of course my friend Reinhold designs great amps and I´m happy
You like the Bogners. I hope we also will have an amp for You in
the future. Whenever You are close to Germany let me know.
It would be great to mod an amp for Your needs.

Cheers,
Peter

Not Organic ???.Dude I have a 100wt Einy.Like Pappa says you want a buzz saw get a marshall.I still own a Boogie and have had numerous Marshalls.Einy's and Diezels are all about the combination.I spent a year on tubes,I presently run dimpel top(NOS) El-34's and new Tung-Sol pre.I went with 12awg wire in an old B Marshall and even made a baltic birch back.Then to fine tune I use 2x V30's and 2 x Greenbacks.Note I didn't like the x- pattern deal,by putting the greenies on top and V30's on bottom I got what I needed.I even went to a super thick high grade speaker cabell.I feel if you have the $ for a Diezel..hopefully you have the ear to tune your rig.The customer support here is the best I've ever seen.Sorry not trying to rail..but I been playing for 40 years and have some ..hehe set views.THe Diezel is limited to the owners abelity to tune.Love My Einy :rock: P.S. My spelling sucks..

Peter Diezel":16r5rrla said:
richedie":16r5rrla said:

Dear Richedie,

old Diezel models have a more dark voiving and it needs
to turn up the presence a bit. I don´t like the trebly sounds
too much but found a good compromise at least. If an amp
feels cold and sterile it´s not only the design. Maybe it
helps to put some EL34 or KT77 in and bias it to 70%.
If You are not a metal head, some V30´s or Greenbacks
in a rearloaded cab would maybe the "woody" choice for You.

Of course my friend Reinhold designs great amps and I´m happy
You like the Bogners. I hope we also will have an amp for You in
the future. Whenever You are close to Germany let me know.
It would be great to mod an amp for Your needs.

Cheers,
Peter

Thanks Peter! Nice you are. :) I would love to visit Germany but probably not for many years.

My main amps are a PWE Event Horizon and 20th Bogner Shiva with EL34s. Love them both and one thing I find I must have in an amp is a very thick, cmooth and chewy lead tone. Why? Because it inspires me to play lead and sort of get lost on "the zone". I used to own Mesa Dual Rectifiers and loved the big modern rhythm tones, even my 2011 DR had amazing modern and vintage rhythm tones but struggled to get a satisfying and "inspiring" lead tone. I need that!

I will need to see if the Einstein can do that. Otherwise I might look at a Splawn Streetrod.

Another feature I find I need is what both my amps have a built in solo boost/second master and to have this function on the pedalboard.

But in the end, tone is king. I need to try the Einstein in the right setting. I keep coming back to when I went to a friend's gig in Jersey and about 8 bands played that night. The best tone of the night was a punk/rock band, the guitarist used a Diezel! The other stand out of the night was a Divided by 13.

Some of the tones I am going for with my next amp are modern high gain - Too, Alice in Chains, Alter Bridge, Fuel.....while having the ability for chewy, singing leads! The lack of a built in solo boost or second master on the Einstein could stop me from buying one. That is one feature I really have gotten used to having on an amp, I never like using a clean boost or EQ as much. My rhythm and lead tones sound more consistent and the transition is better this way. My PWE also has an effects on/off on the floorboard which is an amazing feature. On my Shiva and the new Splawns I love the solo boost because it not only adds volume, but also a slight gain boost and mid boost which to me is brilliant.

Speakers? I lean toward Celestion V30s, G12-65, G12K-100s, CL-80s and WGS ET65/Vet30s.

Current gear:

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG
PRS CE-22
Takamine EF341SC
Peavey Wolfgang Standard HT (soon!)
Bogner 20th Shiva EL34 head
PWE Event Horizon head
Bogner 212OS cab with Celestion Hellatone V30s
THD 212 with Celestion G12K-100/CL-80
Stone Age 212C cab with WGS ET65/Vet 30 incoming
Various pieces of recording equiment

Music I play: originals which are a mix of classic rock style to hard rock and grunge style.

Bands I like to cover or have covered in a band: Rush, Led Zep, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Metallica, Iron Maiden, STP, Sound Garden, Rage Against the Machine, Creed, Linkin Park, Godsmack, Fuel, and bands I am forgetting.

Back