Diezel VHX: KT77 or 6L6?

FLUXX

Hi all,
I finally got my working VHX, and I noticed that it has TAD Red Base 6L6GCM-STR power tubes in it.
I thought the VHX came with KT77's? The first one I got had KT77's in it?
Anyone have a VHX with 6L6's in it?

Can you switch a VHX from 6L6 to KT77?
Does it require a mod?
I don't see a EL34/6L6 Switch in there like on my VH4.
I tried 6L6's in my VH4, and ended up liking the stock KT77's better.

In the meantime, I'm gonna see what these 6L6's can do!

Techdeth

i prefer the 6l6s in all my diezels . First thing I do if they don’t have them . But that’s me . And because of availability new ones have had 6l6s instead of 77s. I actually have enjoyed the switch

VHTStark

My VHX and Herbert mk3 both came with 6l6's. No complaints from me, as like Techdeth, I prefer the 6l6's over the kt77's as well. I changed out the kt77's in the vh4 I used to own to 6l6's and preferred it: opened up the top end, less congested overall.

El-34's sound good as well. I was playing around on a mk1 Herbert recently with el-34's and it sounded rediculous good!

Techdeth

My VHX and Herbert mk3 both came with 6l6's. No complaints from me, as like Techdeth, I prefer the 6l6's over the kt77's as well. I changed out the kt77's in the vh4 I used to own to 6l6's and preferred it: opened up the top end, less congested overall.

El-34's sound good as well. I was playing around on a mk1 Herbert recently with el-34's and it sounded rediculous good!
The 6l6s really do open it up as you say . That’s what I love .plus I like some aggressive 6l6s

FLUXX

I totally hear what you guys are saying. 6L6's definitely work great for some folks,
and I like the sound of other people's 6L6 rigs, but it's not the sound for me or my fingers.
I love KT77s and their "bite". I'm a little tripped up by the VHX's two Bias Trim Pots though.

Apparently, the VHX can use both 6L6 or EL34 (KT77s), you just need to bias the amp for the particular tubes you are using.
That's really cool. Very impressive engineering from the best amp company in the world!!

VHTStark

If you try some el-34's or kt-77's let us know what you think! The main thing is having the amp sound and feel the way you want it to.

It really is a crazy impressive amp indeed. Have you tried using the pre-loop with a boost yet? Not that it needs one, but that is pretty cool you can essentially switch it in/out of the circuit on selected presets.

FLUXX

If you try some el-34's or kt-77's let us know what you think! The main thing is having the amp sound and feel the way you want it to.

It really is a crazy impressive amp indeed. Have you tried using the pre-loop with a boost yet? Not that it needs one, but that is pretty cool you can essentially switch it in/out of the circuit on selected presets.
I got to test them with the first VHX i received, but when i tested the Pre-Loop with a overdrive pedal, it wasn't working so i returned it.
But before I figured out the pre-loop didn't work, I was able to nail the tones of all 4 channels of my VH4 in the VHX (with KT77s),
and it sounded perfect! Dying to get started with KT77s.

I'm looking forward to running pedals in the pre-loop....so many choices!

FLUXX

I ended up returning the VHX with 6L6s and finally got my new VHX with KT77s,
and I'm having a blast tweaking presets for my band's live set.
This amp totally rules!!!

Pretty cool new design, that you can use any tubes you want in it: 6L6, KT77, EL34

hopkinWFG

The Herbert works well with 6l6 was probably the nature of 6l6 on its accentuated highs ? And high powered output tubes has lesser of the compression going ?