Distortion pedal for Vox AC/15, Spitfire amp.

Anxiety Serum

I've got a Tyler HM-18 amp (hand wired, AC15/Matchless Spitfire circuit) that is glorious for clean and slightly overdriven tones. Would love to get a pedal to work with it for quick practices where I don't want to bring my Diezel VH2 and 2x12.

I have a Diezel VH-4 v2 pedal, but I can't seem to get it to dial in nicely. Same with my Boss Blues Driver, it sounds great on the clean channel of the Diezel, but it's not doing it for me through the Tyler?

I am sure some of it is just me being too familiar with the glorious heavy sounds out of the 100W head and a bigger cabinet (the Tyler is just a 10 inch open back combo). But maybe its not the right pedal for the amp.

If its the latter, any pedal suggestions for this type of amp? I play a lot of drop D heavy stuff, think Tool/Chevelle type stuff.

Maybe instead of thinking OD, how about an EQ pedal...like an MXR 10 band eq. You can boost the signal up and eq it and still have your original tones on tap

Maybe instead of thinking OD, how about an EQ pedal...like an MXR 10 band eq. You can boost the signal up and eq it and still have your original tones on tap
Interesting. I will note that the Diezel pedal sounded much better when I took out a ton of mids/treble/presence (like 9 oclock on each vs 11-2 on my old Mesa I used it with before. I just couldn't EQ it enough to get where I wanted it.

Does that MXR pedal boost it as well as EQ or are you saying use it in conjunction with existing pedal?

I love this pedal, let us know what you think of it.
The Nobels sounds great with 30 minutes of play so far.

I was able to get the VH4 Dialed in by taking way down the mids, treble and presence (guess the amp has a lot of high mids), but that pedal won't do crunch/lower distortion gain well.

I bought a Morning Glory two weeks ago and couldn't get it to sound good. Either hollow with tone knob down or harsh with it up (varies tries with the Treble cut switch didn't help either). Just couldn't get a sound I liked.

But the Nobels... man it goes from nice crunch to all on distortion. If I didn't have the VH4 I probably wouldn't buy one. The Nobwla is close enough for a practice. My 100W Diezel is what I normally play that with.

So the Nobels so far is a great option to take my beautiful clean Tyler amp and have the ability to get a nice crunch and distortion tone.

Its not the coolest looking pedal, but like the Boss Blues Driver, it sounds great in the right amp. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: Geo
The Nobels sounds great with 30 minutes of play so far.

I was able to get the VH4 Dialed in by taking way down the mids, treble and presence (guess the amp has a lot of high mids), but that pedal won't do crunch/lower distortion gain well.

I bought a Morning Glory two weeks ago and couldn't get it to sound good. Either hollow with tone knob down or harsh with it up (varies tries with the Treble cut switch didn't help either). Just couldn't get a sound I liked.

But the Nobels... man it goes from nice crunch to all on distortion. If I didn't have the VH4 I probably wouldn't buy one. The Nobwla is close enough for a practice. My 100W Diezel is what I normally play that with.

So the Nobels so far is a great option to take my beautiful clean Tyler amp and have the ability to get a nice crunch and distortion tone.

Its not the coolest looking pedal, but like the Boss Blues Driver, it sounds great in the right amp. Thanks for the recommendation.
I am glad you like it. I found the distortion warm and natural. Almost tube like.

Back