EMG 81 and 85

Vince Sansevere

I am just writing this from an objective point..

I just want to SAY for those SERIOUS about a thick rythym tone, get a emg 81....I have been testing a LOT of amps and I think that signal hitting it ALWAYS creates a great recordable tone!! :rock:

I respect EMG 81 and 85 for what they are, but they're not my favorite pickups, especially for leads. For some reason playing a lead on them makes any tube amp sound like a solid state combo. IMO. I also like the 85 better in the bridge, from my experience.

From a recording standpoint, I feel like it is a crutch, like using an SM57 as opposed to a different mic. i.e. So many people use them that if you can't get a good tone out of it, the problem is you and not the gear. Is either piece of gear the BEST choice? Depends who you talk to. Me? No. Not in all situations anyway.

+1 on the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck. When I got my Zakk Wylde Epiphone last December the first thing I did was go buy the Zakk EMG set. I took it to my guitar guy to have them installed. He told me to try the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck. I thought he was crazy. But since they have the PIN connections they are easy to swap so he talked me into. He was right. I love it. :thumbsup:

JakeAC5253":2jv3gv8r said:
I respect EMG 81 and 85 for what they are, but they're not my favorite pickups, especially for leads. For some reason playing a lead on them makes any tube amp sound like a solid state combo. IMO. I also like the 85 better in the bridge, from my experience.

my sentiments exactly. :thumbsup:

I like an 85 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck. Just works better for me.

Lol, such an objective standpoint there aswell.. :LOL: :LOL:

I've tried them pretty much every way and even though I don't use them anymore, my favorite was 81 in the neck and bridge. I did like the 85 in the bridge for a few months, I just started hearing some qualities I didn't like after a while. I had an Edwards LPC with dual 81s and it KILLED :rock:

CharFace":au90r3op said:
For EMG's, the correct answer is 85 Bridge, 60 (A) Neck ;)
This.

My first experience with EMG's was this exact set in a old Les Paul of mine. At the time, I really dug it.

I rock an 85 in the bridge of my Jackson, tuned down a step and a half, for heavier stuff. Sounds mean and aggressive. Love it. Not the best for leads, but great for rhythm.

Back