Engl amps Clean channels

V87

Hi all, Engl has always been a dream amp for me and I've always love the sound. I've recently discovered that I may be able to actually get one. I know all about the distortion channels and I'm very happy with that. What I was wondering from the actually Engl players, is how the clean channel and effects loops react to pedals. I'm looking to use some OD in the front of the clean channel just for a pushed clean/ slap tone for my 8 string and also to put in front synth pedals, some mod also. Effects loop would just be delay, maybe an eq if needed. I was just wondering what your thoughts were as I've seen a lot of posts online about the clean channel not taking pedals too well. To me it sounds stellar, but I'm in UK and there's no places to try before I by! All comments appreciated.

It obviously depends on the particular ENGL you're looking at. But most of them have a clean channel that has a huge amount of headroom and with a very open, 'wide' clean channel. Some people might call them a little sterile as they have a very fast response with practically no low end sag and the EQ on them is pretty balanced overall. They won't do a 'vintage' clean sound very easily. But what is there is amazing for taking pedals.

The effects loop also depends on the particular ENGL you're looking at. For amps with independent channel volumes and master volumes you need to be mindful of how high you set the channel volume gain. As the channel volume gain is pre-effects loop. So the higher you set the channel volume, the harder you'll be driving the pedals in the effects loop. And if you set them too high, you will start clipping pedals. I had to go through a revolving door of analog chorus pedals to find one with enough headroom to withstand the level of gain in the loop of the Savage Mark 2. But I did eventually get there.

Ive had the Savage 120 and the Powerball. I dont remember either being great with pedals. They can sound great recorded but its more of a feel thing, I didnt like it. The Savage was better and I liked aspects of the clean channel but it was nothing compared to my Mesa Quad or a good Fender.
Of the two the Savage 120 had the warmer clean, the Powerball was more clear. Your cab speakers are going to play a role, but Marshalls are better for pedal use.

Back