Engl peeps - Seen this new Fireball 25 KT77 Edition?

napalmdeath

I bought one.. I loved the Fireball 25, always wished they'd do an Artist 25.. Well, this is pretty close! I assume other EL34s would be acceptable as well. I'm sure they're JJ's, aside from Russian made Genelex, I don't know any other current production KT77's made? Don't think the Chinese are making them? Should be interesting.

"This limited-edition model is equipped with KT77 tubes. Thanks to the power amp design, the Fireball 25 has enough punch and headroom for every live and studio situation".

Different faceplate too... Only videos up is one. Fuckface hairpiece wearing Tone Wars.. Not sure if I can stomach watching him crank the gain on 10 and boost it with the gain on the pedal dimed.

engl-e633-kt77-ltd-1.jpg

Just in the wording alone it’s almost like they admit anything with an EL84 power section can’t hang in a live setting.

I’m interested in hearing one. At times I feel like the smaller Engls sound better than the larger ones.

Just in the wording alone it’s almost like they admit anything with an EL84 power section can’t hang in a live setting.

I’m interested in hearing one. At times I feel like the smaller Engls sound better than the larger ones.
I've had the 6L6. It's a little beast of an amp, and I did like it more than the 100 watt. I didn't even use my normal EQ in the loop. Big low end. But, I love me some KT77's... I'd still like to see an Artist 25 though.

I would agree with that statement about the EL84 power section, at least with my limited experience trying to use a Mark V25 with a band years ago.

I have a FB100, and my other guitar player has a FB25 that he bought from me. They're both great, and they're different but the same at the same time haha. The same core tone is there in both, but the 25 is much more scooped. The mid boost on the 25 is fantastic, but on the 100 it boosts too much for me. I like both of them a shit ton, and they're different enough that I could own both.

These things compete EASILY with my band. My other guitar player uses the FB25 frequently at practice, and on stage. He also has a PB2, which works a lot better for his other band because of the 4 channels, so he ends up using that a lot (since we play with his other band a lot), too. And that amp is probably Engl's best, IMO.

Anyway, the FBs are in the same ballpark as the EVH 100s, to some degree. Not the same, but they have some similar tonal characteristics. Probably why I like the FBs so much.

I would agree with that statement about the EL84 power section, at least with my limited experience trying to use a Mark V25 with a band years ago.

I have a FB100, and my other guitar player has a FB25 that he bought from me. They're both great, and they're different but the same at the same time haha. The same core tone is there in both, but the 25 is much more scooped. The mid boost on the 25 is fantastic, but on the 100 it boosts too much for me. I like both of them a shit ton, and they're different enough that I could own both.

These things compete EASILY with my band. My other guitar player uses the FB25 frequently at practice, and on stage. He also has a PB2, which works a lot better for his other band because of the 4 channels, so he ends up using that a lot (since we play with his other band a lot), too. And that amp is probably Engl's best, IMO.

Anyway, the FBs are in the same ballpark as the EVH 100s, to some degree. Not the same, but they have some similar tonal characteristics. Probably why I like the FBs so much.
I had a Mark V 25 as well. That amp petered out at 11:00 o'clock. I've owned the 50 watt 5150's, (regular, & Stealth), and I find the Engls more dynamic. They'll both chug, but the Fireball has more harmonic detail and better for leads. And the 25 is richer sounding than the 100.

I never used the Mid Boost, but I ran the mids pretty high. I'm curious where the mids will be with the KT77's. I found the mid boost too much. They should make it adjustable.

I have an EVH 100s and 50 watt 6l6. I'm a 5150 guy at heart, so those things always seem to win out for me, but I'm also not looking for dynamics for what I play. But I do love the Fireballs as well. I can't say I like one over the other, though. They both are really great. I'm sure I will buy another 25 at some point because sometimes the small one is easier to deal with haha.

I have an EVH 100s and 50 watt 6l6. I'm a 5150 guy at heart, so those things always seem to win out for me, but I'm also not looking for dynamics for what I play. But I do love the Fireballs as well. I can't say I like one over the other, though. They both are really great. I'm sure I will buy another 25 at some point because sometimes the small one is easier to deal with haha.
Oh, I could easily get by with a 5150 for heavy rhythm.. But I'm a Lead player too, and the Fireball has the better lead tones for my use.

I'll take a 5150 Stealth all day long if I was just a rhythm player. Boosted blue channel? Fuck yes.

At times I feel like the smaller Engls sound better than the larger ones.
Yep, I've done some recording through a Two Notes Torpedo Live, and while my Savage 60 (2x EL34) slays for tight rhythm, for leads actually the small Ironball (2x EL84) was preferred!

Kinda curious about this KT77 Fireball; I sorta miss a switchable gain-boost option on it like the Ironball has, but the fact that it has a footswitchable fx-loop is one of my most used features when playing live.
Oh, and kudos that they made the Presence control for both channels again, which they stupidly switched to 'Lead Presence' only on the Ironball SE.
Still, a Bright switch for the clean channel would be welcome.

It kills! HUGE bottom end. So far, I found a Boss GE-7 out front is the ultimate boost. Really gets surgically tight, and aggressive as hell. As much as I liked the 6L6 version 25, I do like this one better. It's a killer amp.

@napalmdeath do you still have the Bogner 3534 or a 5150III 50W version to compare it to?
No. But it's better than any 5150 50 watt. I only ever used the blue channel of the EVH, the Engl is much better.

The Bogner is a different animal. It's more Marshall flavored, more high mids, (though still that Bogner flavor). The Engl, (though with KT77's), is still a more modern sounding amp.

It kills! HUGE bottom end. So far, I found a Boss GE-7 out front is the ultimate boost. Really gets surgically tight, and aggressive as hell. As much as I liked the 6L6 version 25, I do like this one better. It's a killer amp.
Boost with or without hairpiece (still laughing at first post)?

Back