Engl Pro 2x12 vs 4x12?

rsm

Anyone have / tried both? IYO, tonal diffs / characteristics / comparisons?

FWIW, I'm going with two pro 2x12 horizontal cabs, but may add a 4x12 or two more 2x12 cabs to get a full stack eventually. I think the 2x12 cabs will be tighter, warmer mids, etc. Not looking for more depth/bass, I don't tune down, etc.,...

I had a Powerball 2 Head with a Pro Horizontal 2x12, sounded great. If the 4x12 Pro is better than the 2x12 (which would be tough to beat) go for 2 cabs. The ENGL 2x12 was one of the best cabs I've ever had (for rock/metal playing that is)

The Engl Pro is one of the best cab for metal. I had the Horizontal 2x12 Pro for years and i played with the 4x12 Pro many times. The 4x12 Pro has exactly the same sound just more of it. I have the Mesa Traditional 4x12 now, overall the Mesa is voice darker than the Engl. I like the Mesa with my 5150 a little better but not by much it's very very close. If you want strong upper mids but not harsh go with the Engl Pro 2x12 or 4x12 and if you want a darker cab with lower mids go with the Mesa Traditional 4x12, alot tighter than the Recto (oversized).

I own ENGL 212VH Pro and I like it more than 2x12 or 4x12 Orange. 4x12 Orange was just a bit bigger sounding than my ENGL but not as tight. Orange are smoother sounding, ENGL has more bite and better low end. When I had my box next to 4x12 ENGL Pro, that one had obviously bigger, deeper sound and my box had more presence. It stood out really well.
I changed one V30 for Mesa C90 and it complements very well with remaining V30. The sound is bigger than originally and it has more pronounced mids.

I had both. Originally, I had the 2x12 Horizontal and loved the sound. My SE670 has PLENTY of sub bass and the 2x12 tamed it. It focused the tone more in the mids and gave me a little sizzle that I wanted. The SE is such a smooth amp so the grit makes it sound a little less processed and being a little scooped in the mids, it made it fill out more. The problem was that the 2x12 was as heavy as a lot of 4x12s are. I decided to get rid of it and just get a 4x12 Pro (not the XXL) for what I thought would be better dispersion. Same V30s but it was a huge difference in the sound. With the 4x12, the sub bass was back and it lost the sizzle that I liked. Directly in front of the speakers, it sounds pretty much the same as it should. But when stepping even slightly to the side, I preferred the 2x12. It doesn't make a lot of sense but that was my experience.

Back