ENGL SE vs ENGL 570 SE Preamp

TheGreatGreen

I'd love to get an ENGL SE, but there are several reasons that the rack version is more appealing to me.

1. I already own a VHT poweramp so I really don't "need" the power section of the SE.

2. I'd like a consolidated rig, and a rack preamp would fit right in with the rest of my rig, unlike a head.

3. The ENGL 570 preamp costs a lot less than the head.

I am, however, a crazy guitar player who has chosen to put tone above all else, including budget, even if it means I have to save for a much longer period of time. I've also heard that the head sounds better than the preamp + poweramp setup. Knowing this, I've got kind of a dilemma on my hands.

Basically, has anybody here tried out both of these things? How did they compare? If you plugged both the 570 and the effects send of the SE into a poweramp, would they sound exactly the same? Or, does one have a certain something that the other just doesn't?

TheGreatGreen":3ke26lgn said:
I'd love to get an ENGL SE, but there are several reasons that the rack version is more appealing to me.

1. I already own a VHT poweramp so I really don't "need" the power section of the SE.

2. I'd like a consolidated rig, and a rack preamp would fit right in with the rest of my rig, unlike a head.

3. The ENGL 570 preamp costs a lot less than the head.

I am, however, a crazy guitar player who has chosen to put tone above all else, including budget, even if it means I have to save for a much longer period of time. I've also heard that the head sounds better than the preamp + poweramp setup. Knowing this, I've got kind of a dilemma on my hands.

Basically, has anybody here tried out both of these things? How did they compare? If you plugged both the 570 and the effects send of the SE into a poweramp, would they sound exactly the same? Or, does one have a certain something that the other just doesn't?

I haven't A/B'd the two side by side, but in theory its supposed to be the preamp section of the ENGL SE. I chose the E570 preamp at the time I bought it because I had a VHT 2/50/2 already, also because I had a few units at the moment and loved the versatility of having multiple preamps into a switching system :rock:

I Haven't seen too many people who own the E570 so it might be awhile for someone to give their 2 cents. :(

If you want a person opinion from a dealer I would email Derek B at Rock Solid amps to see what he thinks. Or maybe give him a call, hes always been helpful when I talked to him.

I'm pretty sure theres some switches on the head that aren't on the preamp.
I've had the 670se its a versatile raging beast.

Bump. Anyone have anything more to add to this thread. I love the SE head, but I have the Fryette power amps so I was considering the the SE pre-amp. I'm worried it won't sound as good as the head though.

roodboy":2ehjce9q said:
I'm pretty sure theres some switches on the head that aren't on the preamp.
I've had the 670se its a versatile raging beast.
I feel like I can do without the Tube Driver. Since stuff like the Depth Boost etc is part of the power section anyway, I'd personally love an E570. Had GAS for one for ages. Damn funds holding me back

I have the preamp and it sounds really good, I feed it into the Engl power amp. I have never played the head but I'm guessing since I am playing through the power amp its pretty close.
I can get a lot of usable sounds, it's very versatile, sounds great with my pedals etc.. The clean sounds great, way better than my Fish clean channel.
The crunch channel is good, I can get a tone with my analog man chorus that sounds to me like VH's Pretty Woman
The 1st lead channel is what I use for High gain and it is nice and tight. This preamp has the noise gate and a lot of bells and Whistles, more so than the Fish anyway

On a side note I am thinking of picking up a VHT poweramp because I really don't like how the Fish sounds through the Engl poweramp. I use to run the Fish through the power section of my JTM - 45 and it sounded really good. Haven't done that with the Engl yet. But I'm sure the Engl 570 would sound good through a VHT.

I like it. Hope that helps

I own the E570 and matching poweramp E850/100. I a/b'd it against the SE head(6L6) version and it sounded every bit as good. That said, if you don't plan on buying the matching poweramp, I'd go the head route. The E570 sounds good with other poweramps (I tried it with various including the Mesa 2/90 and VHT 2/90/2) but the matching poweramp turns it into a whole different animal in my opinion. It gives it that modern sound and lowend punch of the SE head.

The power section of my SE head is scooped and saturated sounding (in a good way). I have run the SE preamp signal thru my Strategy 400 and it sounds quite a bit tighter and brighter. Very different sounds FWIW.

I had the 570se and I was running it with a VHT 2/90/2 and especially for heavier stuff It was really good. The power section of the VHT could make a Slut tight. It had plenty of bottom to me, then again I'm a huge fan of KT88's. To me engls are mainly suited for teh brootz though

Devilinside":fb3j0nni said:
I had the 570se and I was running it with a VHT 2/90/2 and especially for heavier stuff It was really good. The power section of the VHT could make a Slut tight. It had plenty of bottom to me, then again I'm a huge fan of KT88's. To me engls are mainly suited for teh brootz though

Cool. The brootz are what I'd want it for. Just worried about it not having the low end of the amp. If that is something that is common with most pre-amp/power amp set-ups relative to an all in one head. I've only ever played one tube pre-amp (Mako Mak4).

The E570 has a MLP (mega low punch) button that kicks in some serious lowend. That with the depth control on the VHT 2/90/2 should give you plenty of lowend. Anymore and you mine as well play bass.

Semi related but I ran my Axe-FX into both the poweramp on my SE and a VHT and it sounded TOTALLY different. People say high gain amps like ENGL derive most of the tone from the preamp but my experience showed the poweramp to have a HUGE impact on the tone.

ENDITOL":3cr1qjbb said:
Semi related but I ran my Axe-FX into both the poweramp on my SE and a VHT and it sounded TOTALLY different. People say high gain amps like ENGL derive most of the tone from the preamp but my experience showed the poweramp to have a HUGE impact on the tone.

That's what I'm worried about. Running the SE pre amp through the 2/90/2 won't sound as good as the head itself. I'm sure it will sound good though - an my main concern is that it would lack the low-end. I guess I need to try running the SE head (my friend has one) out the FX send to my 2/90/2 to hear how it sounds. Just need a way to dump the load off the head so it will be silent.

Devilinside":28sw6rvh said:
The power section of the VHT could make a Slut tight.

^ Right on the money.

I've owned the E670 at the same time I had an E570/2/90/2. I preferred the E570 & 2/90/2 combination because it was tighter/dryer/bitier. The E670 power section was overall warmer & thicker (6l6's vs KT88's). The VHT just sounds clearer to me, less tube coloration I guess. Just depends what you're goin' for, both are badass setups for sure.

Have you tried EH 6550's in the 2/90/2? I tried 'em in mine, sounded closer(warmer/fatter/thicker) to the Engl power section than it does with Sovteks or JJ KT88's.

I just got the E-570 last week. Sounds devestating through my Freyette 2902/Mesa traditional/Mesa Oversized cabs. For metal it just kills anything i've ever tried. Mesa Dual rec, Mesa Tremoverb, Mesa Raktifier, Mesa Triple Rec, Mesa Mark IV,Triaxis, Axefx,Sansamp PSA-1,Marshall JMP-1, ADA MP-1, VHT Valvulator,Bogner Fish,Marshall 2203/2204/2205/2210/DSL/TSL, Diezel Herbert, Diezel VH4,Bogner Uberschall,Bogner Shiva, Peavey 5150/5150II,VHT UL/CLX, Engl Powerball,Soldano SLO. I wouldn't trade/sell this combo for any of them. Although, i'd be interested in hearing the E-570 through the VHT 2150 or Mesa Strategy 400. Also, i've ordered a Peters Hydra/halo pre for shits and giggles. :rock:

Definitely do the pre because it's also a lot cheaper to grab another preamp just for variety. I would love to hear the Mak 4 with the VHT 2/90/2

Back