EVH 5150 Iconic

8len8

I’m a classic rock / post grunge player who wanted to start dabbling in modern metal. I typically play Soldano and Marshall type amps, but wanted something with a 6505 flavor. As luck would have it, no 6505’s were available in my area but I ran across an Iconic.

I read the reviews of this amp after I bought it. A lot of different opinions out there as usual. The big point of contention is the fact that it only has 2 preamp tubes, with the V1 and PI spots using solid state transistors.

This amp is definitely for modern metal, although you can get older rock tones out of it. Some may not like the fact that it has a very fast response, similar to a solid state amp. There’s no sponginess or droop to be had anywhere with this amp.

Features are abundant. Two channels. Channel one has a usable clean and a nice distorted tone. Channel two is the really overdriven channel (with built in noise gate that is needed) and a burn function that adds more low end and fullness than you’d ever need. There’s a solo boost function that hits both channels with more gain if you set the boost pot to minimum. The resonance and presence controls have a wide span that is completely usable across the whole range.

This thing (the head version) is huge and built like a tank. The input and output iron is the largest I’ve ever seen, really adding to the tone of this thing. Similar to a Diamond Spitfire I used to own. Yeah, it’s SMT components, and tube sockets on PCBs made in China, but that’s how the price is so low.

My only complaint is with technical support. There’s no technical info available as far as rebiasing anywhere, and Fender won’t give out the info. I’m sure it will become available over time, but Fender’s policy of not providing this info sucks.

I like using both channel one (boost on, set to min) and channel two (boost off or on, burn off). Setting the presence and resonance at 9 o’clock is enough for me. No pedals are really needed with this amp. If you try using a boost (like a Timmy) with the amp’s higher gain settings you end up with a lot of squealing.

On a side note, there are gut dots of the combo and a great discussion with the amp’s designer over on the TGP forum.

If it's 70's, 80's and 90's classic heavy rock tones that you are after, the original 50w is the EVH amp you want.

If it's 70's, 80's and 90's classic heavy rock tones that you are after, the original 50w is the EVH amp you want.
I’ve already got that tone with my Marshall. That’s not why I bought the Iconic. Thanks for the recommendation anyway.

Reactions: Geo
I’m a classic rock / post grunge player who wanted to start dabbling in modern metal. I typically play Soldano and Marshall type amps, but wanted something with a 6505 flavor. As luck would have it, no 6505’s were available in my area but I ran across an Iconic.

I read the reviews of this amp after I bought it. A lot of different opinions out there as usual. The big point of contention is the fact that it only has 2 preamp tubes, with the V1 and PI spots using solid state transistors.

This amp is definitely for modern metal, although you can get older rock tones out of it. Some may not like the fact that it has a very fast response, similar to a solid state amp. There’s no sponginess or droop to be had anywhere with this amp.

Features are abundant. Two channels. Channel one has a usable clean and a nice distorted tone. Channel two is the really overdriven channel (with built in noise gate that is needed) and a burn function that adds more low end and fullness than you’d ever need. There’s a solo boost function that hits both channels with more gain if you set the boost pot to minimum. The resonance and presence controls have a wide span that is completely usable across the whole range.

This thing (the head version) is huge and built like a tank. The input and output iron is the largest I’ve ever seen, really adding to the tone of this thing. Similar to a Diamond Spitfire I used to own. Yeah, it’s SMT components, and tube sockets on PCBs made in China, but that’s how the price is so low.

My only complaint is with technical support. There’s no technical info available as far as rebiasing anywhere, and Fender won’t give out the info. I’m sure it will become available over time, but Fender’s policy of not providing this info sucks.

I like using both channel one (boost on, set to min) and channel two (boost off or on, burn off). Setting the presence and resonance at 9 o’clock is enough for me. No pedals are really needed with this amp. If you try using a boost (like a Timmy) with the amp’s higher gain settings you end up with a lot of squealing.

On a side note, there are gut dots of the combo and a great discussion with the amp’s designer over on the TGP forum.
For any bias/tube info Andy Fuchs would know. Friendly guy to work with, Fuchs is not Marshall but he fixes many of them.
I have the 100 watt EVH 5150 IIIs EL 34 delivers fine and was thinking about modding the amp but the red channels so hot that dialing it back worked fine.

Back