EVH D-tuna

Samhain

Banned
Are these meant for xtra light gauge strings only ?
I play medium gauge and this thing will not stay in tune from drop D to standard.
I can tune a Floyd.
The low E stays in pitch fine its the ADG that get all outta whack.
Ive seen the videos and are doing it correctly.
2nd time with this thing [new guitar had one already on] just doesn't seem to work.

How tight is it pulled to the body (or whatever the 'stop' is)? I assume those 3 offending strings go sharp when you drop and flat when you raise back to E? Is that correct?

How tight is it pulled to the body (or whatever the 'stop' is)? I assume those 3 offending strings go sharp when you drop and flat when you raise back to E? Is that correct?
Wolfgang Standard w/a Floyd Special.
Trem rests on body when not enganged.
So you tune to drop D, then lock nut & go to standardpitch.
A-D-G are flat.
I normally play D'Addario .011 to .056 Nickels and did on this guitar, then i switched to a slightly lighter hybird set of D'Addario XT's .011 to .049 thinking the lighter strings on this guitar would work better ... wrong.
Tuna will not work with those and the XT [coated] strings are double in price but supposed to last longer.
Worked better with the .011 to .056
I got 4 springs in back. Just re-installed the Tuna and still won't stay in tune.
I pulled it off my guitar 2nd time this morning. Done with it.
Ive seen videos on this where they want you to install a trem stop in the back but im not doing all that.
The tuna saga seems to get deeper and deeper.

Sorry-Charlie-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
I recently bought 2 for my 2 standards. My guitar in E/Drop D with 9-46 works great. No issues at all. My other one I have D/Drop C with 10-49 strings, and this one gives me more trouble. I can get it to work, but the window of it working correctly is definitely much smaller.

What didn't work for you? I like it for the smaller footprint but not if it's a POS

Could not get it to the proper pitch. It wasn't user error either.
By all means...feel free to get one. I'm not saying it won't work for you. It just didn't for me.

Could not get it to the proper pitch. It wasn't user error either.
By all means...feel free to get one. I'm not saying it won't work for you. It just didn't for me.
Good to know. Thanks for the info. I guess they'd be more popular if they worked well :dunno:

Good to know. Thanks for the info. I guess they'd be more popular if they worked well :dunno:

Let me take a look and see if I still have one new in the package. I could mail it to you to try if you wanted. I am just not sure if I still have it.

Let me take a look and see if I still have one new in the package. I could mail it to you to try if you wanted. I am just not sure if I still have it.
That's OK. It's for a future build that won't be happening until middle of the year. I appreciate the offer though!

I have a guitar in C drop B with a D tuna with 12-56 strings and it stays 100% in tune. There must be something not set up right. Strings tight enough? Back rest solid? Bridge angle from low string to high pretty parallel? Sometimes if you have the treble side lower than the bass side, it might cause tuning issues.

@Findthetone1 I'm still rocking the Tonevise on my Kramer SM-1. Works like a charm and is way quicker to go from E to D, but it took a few gos before I found the right spot.
In my experience there *is* more fine-tuning possible with the D-Tuna.

I have a D-Tuna on my Charvel So-Cal.

I’ve had similar issues. I could not get the d tuna to work on either guitar I tried it on. Both were flat mount ofr and I can get close but could not get the proper pitch. I could get one pitch but the second wouldn’t work and vice versa. I’m recently tried one again as we added unchained but could not get it to be in tune. The floyd is completely flat to the body and cannot change pitch when you pull up at all so it wasn’t a slack issue. Real bummer as I would love to have it work

Cool idea from the guitar innovator of my lifetime but not a universal gadget.
It works for some applications but not all.

I fucking hate the D-Tuna.

I took the one out of my Wolfgang USA and never looked back. I even swapped out the Korean floyd to a German one.

The one thing you might want to check is where your low E saddle is, meaning is it intonated without it being pushed way far forward. I installed 2 of these on 2 different guitars and both worked flawlessly. FF a few weeks later and my low E saddle slid forward and completely thru thing out and would not tune no matter what the hell I did. Soon as I realized the saddle had slipped I brought it back and havent had any issues.

You also REALLY have to make sure its not getting held up between the metal tensioner and the fine tuner. Not saying yours will magically work but at least its something to try!

Took me years to try one. Finally bought a black one for one of my Peavey HP's, didn't work. I tune to D standard and C# standard on the other one. I didn't realize when purchasing that they only really work for E or Eb. Get lower tunings and nope.

Took me years to try one. Finally bought a black one for one of my Peavey HP's, didn't work. I tune to D standard and C# standard on the other one. I didn't realize when purchasing that they only really work for E or Eb. Get lower tunings and nope.
Not true. I tune to C/drop B and it works perfectly. I have two on my 1991 Ibanez RG 565 with an Edge tremolo and they work flawlessly.

Every guitar i put one on, works great. I dont get all the people for whom it does not work. Something is not setup right.

Would putting a capo rather tight on the first fret or two allow you to at least determine which end of the guitar is the cause?

Back