Faustine Phantom Attenuator Review

Scumback Speakers

I want to preface this review with a few basic facts/thoughts.

I'm old school. I roll down my volume on the guitar to clean up for chords/clean passages. The guitar setup with decent pots/caps/pickups is paramount for this and I've got that dialed in pretty well, IMO. The guitar should be ready to scream for solos on 10, and clean up well for chords at 5-6, with crunchy chords at 7-8. I don't use OD pedals unless the amp needs it, and I generally setup my amps to sustain with medium gain saturation (think Cream/Zep/Allman Bros), then I roll off the guitar volume for cleans. That's my criteria.

I used various amps with these schemes, but the two main ones were a 50w Plexi I built with NOS glass, SoZo caps, and NOS Mullard/Telefunken glass, and a Komet Concorde with NOS glass. Volume settings were all over the place from 3-8. Guitars used were a Les Paul with PAF style pickups (WCR American Steele set), and a Strat with WCR SR pickups, top notch pots/caps, etc.

1) I hate attenuators generally. You should get an amp with the power you need to play a particular room size. So if you're playing a stadium, you better have a 50 or 100w, a smaller club a 25-40w, and if you're jamming with friends just to get over a drummer, 15-20w. If you're playing in your 2nd bedroom, something along the lines of a Marshall MS-2 (9 volt battery operated amp w/adapter) can get the job done.

2) I realize many of you don't have the $$ or luxury of having multiple amps, so PPIMV solutions, attenuators, master volume mods, power scaling/etc have become ways to try to reduce the volume and maintain the feel/note bloom/girth of your cranked amp without sacrificing too much tone/feel/impact. In all of these I've found significant drawbacks to the tone after using even minimal settings.

3) My findings on volume reduction schemes, YMMV.

PPIMV: They just don't sound good below 1/3rd volume, and they hit the tone badly causing fizz, more treble, etc. below 1/3rd. Above that they're generally fair, but really work their best at 1/2 or higher. At this point you're still deciding how many amps to have to suit two levels of usage with and without PPIMV involved at 1/3rd or higher.

Power Scaling: I just haven't heard one of these schemes yet that blew my dress up. Sorry. Not going to name names of amps/brands, but NONE of them work for me...at all. I wish they did.

Attenuators: What I've tried....

Hot Plate: Generally OK at the first attenuated level, then it really gets nasty below that. Even using the bass boost/etc it provides impacts the tone in a major way. Forget bedroom or TV/conversation levels. You may as well hook up the Marshall MS-2.

Airbrake (Dr Z or Komet version:) Better choice than the Hot Plate by a long shot, but still significant tone impact on more than 20% of it's settings down. The feel was better, but still impacted hard, and thinned out the tone.

Richter: This version is a step up from the Airbrake in tone, but it's first attenuated level is roughly 50% of your unattenuated volume. That's putting it in some limited use territory for me, but that may be the ticket for many who have 50w amps cutting down the volume for clubs. Bedroom/TV levels, it got pretty washed out/thin and didn't work. But if you're looking for that 1st attenuated level to be 50-75% of your amp's volume, then this could be a player for many.

Ultimate Attenuator: This attenuator does extremely well on full power settings, and with cutting down the volume in many settings, so I can see why it's so popular. If you leave your guitar volume on 10, and have a channel switcher for cleans and dirty settings, then this is also a major player. The Plexi & Bedroom switches are decent enough, although there is some impact of tone at those levels, it's a fairly decent unit. What the UA does not do well is interact with the guitar volume being rolled off to get back to clean. I tried both my Les Paul & Strat and the re-amping circuit basically doesn't allow the guitar volume to control the gain/impact of the amp as it would without an attenuator in the circuit. When I roll off my guitar volume from my settings, it should clean up pretty well by the time I get to 5-6. On the UA, it doesn't clean up until 2-3. At this level, of course, you're well under the volume setting you need to still be setup properly in the mix with the band. Turning up to 5-6 leaves you with too much hair around the chords, so this was a deal killer for me.

Faustine Phantom: I have to give this attenuator the highest marks of any I've tried. The absolutely most transparent tones of any I've tried. Setttings from -2 to -10 were great. I could sustain a note going into bloom, or swelling feedback on the unattenuated setting then flip it to the -8 setting and the note carried on and bloomed, only at the reduced volume. Overall feel and girth were unaffected, just the reduction in volume. When switching down from the fixed setting to the variable setting from -12 to -26 you still had excellent dynamics/girth/feel. I felt the tone got very slightly impacted around -20 or so (1/2 the variable knob sweep) but at this point you're talking quiet conversation level. Infinitely more usable than any of the other attenuators I've tried. A couple of slight EQ trimming/fixes went a long way towards re-establishing the full power feel. Obviously at this level, you're looking for the best overall tone, since the girth/impact won't be there due to the significant volume reduction. The FA did this far better than any other attenuator on the market.

My personal criteria of the guitar volume roll off to cleans was where the unit really shined. The amp reacted just as if it didn't have the FA in the circuit at all. On 10 it was screaming, at 5-6 the cleans were there, just as if I had the plexi on 8 and no attenuation was involved. This to me was the mark of a well-designed and intuitively useful product. The fact that it doesn't require power, like the UA, was also a bonus, and what I considered to be a must have feature.

Overall build quality/look/aesthetics were excellent and the controls needed NO explanation on the Faustine, something I though the UA lacked and could be improved upon.

Summation: If you're looking for the all around best attenuator on the market, the Faustine is it. It absolutely does sound "like nothing" down to the -20 level in my tests. With a 50w plexi cranked through 4 H75 Scumback speakers, if there were any harsh characteristics, they would have showed up easily and the FA provided none of those, just righteous, natural tone. At the sub -20 levels, tiny degradations in tone could be heard, but in comparison to the other attenuators on the market, they were fantastic, and much more organic. Overall I'd give this product about a 9.5 out of 10, and to be honest, I don't think there's ever going to be a perfect 10, due to the complexities of having a circuit work this well from 100w all the way down to 1/2w.

I can live with that quite easily.

Affiliation: None. I've met Tim twice in six months. If he didn't have Tone Merchants offering his product, I'd never know him.

Likelihood to buy: Good.

Sure, I have about 15 amps, and around 25 speaker cabs. I've got all the ranges from 1 watt Marshall MS-2 to 100w Plexis. I need an attenuator like I need a hole in the head, but I also love the sound of a 4x12 with a 50w cranked. I won't get that with 9 watt amp through a 4x12 without blowing the sound limitations of where I live and bothering the neighbors (I already went to jail for this offense in 2001, you know!). But I could see using the FA with my 50w and a 4x12 straight cab quite easily and being happy with it.

Pics of the Faustine Attenuator below. Get them at Tone Merchants, http://www.tonemerchants.com. I think they're $659.00 for the single ohm version, $749.00 for the Deluxe version (4-8-16 ohm switchable) and they've got a waiting list. Now I see why.

faustinefront.jpg

faustinerear.jpg

it sounds like those things are great but i just looked up the price of those at tone merch. 750 ... ouch! I don't mind laying out some jack for good stuff but that well...... I don't think I can go there. Just cant justify 750 for an attenuator that sucks because I was really interested in getting a couple... now maybe one but at the price I would say none is what I would end up with.

Did you have any opinion compare to the Marshall SE100.
Mine works pretty fine at -12db even if more you attenuate and more the sound becomes dark.(and particularly at -18db)

rareguitar":5wtgp5j0 said:
Jimbo,

I need one of those, you want to sell me that one? ;) :thumbsup:

B

Did you ask Rob? I thought that Tone Merchants had some unless shartdiver grabbed based on pics of his rig..
Boof

boof":1i8wakxv said:
rareguitar":1i8wakxv said:
Jimbo,

I need one of those, you want to sell me that one? ;) :thumbsup:

B

Did you ask Rob? I thought that Tone Merchants had some unless shartdiver grabbed based on pics of his rig..
Boof

None in stock at Tone Merchants but Dave Turner is working on getting me one from the source. :thumbsup:

That was AWESOME! Great to read a well spoken review of the attenuators. I'd be curious to hear your review on the Weber Mass. I started with the Marshall SE100 back in the 90's, then went to the THD Hotplate, and found exactly what Jim did. Too much tone loss, and gets fizzy at higher reductions. I have been using the Weber for several years now, and it's more natural. The only gripe I have with it is that the slope on the output potentiometer (amount of volume reduction) is not gradual enough. It is very slight from full power (5:00) down to around 10:00, then the volume really starts to drop. The treble switch sound totally natural, and there is no reason to add bass as on the THD, which makes the amp sound like a different amp IMO.

I did have the ability to compare it side by side with a UA, and thought the Weber does a better job, because of what Jim described. Very hard to clean up the amp with the Guitars volume knob and the UA.

PC230004.jpg

Back