• Looks good

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Tacky as hell

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MadAsAHatter

It's getting about time to recover one of my amp heads and I'm thinking about doing a faux snakeskin wrap. In some examples it looks fitting and other it's tacky as all hell. What do you all think about it? looks good to tacky as hell?

I'm indifferent about it so I say do what makes you happy. Would do it? Maybe. Would I skip on the purchase of an amp with it? Probably not. Then again, I never thought I'd have a purple guitar or amp and now I have both so who knows where my head goes. My only concern is if you would grow tired of it.

Here's my 1960AV in snake. I like it. 👍

Attachments

• 20210401_165817.jpg
    20210401_165817.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • 20210401_165504.jpg
    20210401_165504.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • 20210401_165910.jpg
    20210401_165910.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
It looks cool but most of the time the cab will viewed from the front and you can't really get the full effect with it just being on the borders.

It's getting about time to recover one of my amp heads and I'm thinking about doing a faux snakeskin wrap. In some examples it looks fitting and other it's tacky as all hell. What do you all think about it? looks good to tacky as hell?
The answer to your question lies in the answer to the question of: what amp are we talking about here?

Soldano/Splawn = sure
Marshall/Mesa =- eh' not so much

Context it worth considering, it can work. I think it looks best if it's not on the front panel, Soldano style.
I think you're on to something here. Examples with snakeskin on the front panel seem to cross into being gaudy. Only being on the sides tend to look better.

The answer to your question lies in the answer to the question of: what amp are we talking about here?

Soldano/Splawn = sure
Marshall/Mesa =- eh' not so much
I do like the way the Splawn and Soldano ones look. There's a JetCity one with blue snakeskin out there that works pretty well.
Seeing snakeskin wrap on a Princeton reverb would look fairly stupid.

Amp in question is a BlueVoodoo 150 which already has a stigma on it. Snakeskin might push it into that area where it's so tacky it's cool. :cool:

I wrapped my Jet City 100H in snakeskin a la Soldano style, but back in 2010 I jammed on this bad boy when I had a 1 on 1 session with George Lynch:

Attachments

• RandallSnakeskin.png
    RandallSnakeskin.png
    313.5 KB · Views: 29
There are fancy amps that come in snakeskin and its part of the package and then there are campy amps covered in snakeskin that make them goofy in a good way. Blue Voodoo in snakeskin would be goofy in a good way.

Back