Finally my custom 8 string is done!! Lots o pics!

thanks guys, i actually recorded that using my trusty podxt. In that one clip the heavy part is tuned kinda weird. The whole guitar is a half step down and the 7th string is A flat and the 8th string is Db! Even more the bass is doing an octave below that (albeit badly because it has the regular store strings on it still, i need to buy some nice thick ones if im going to tune that low). On the 2nd half of the clip where its clean its in standard tuning but a half step down.

The fretboard wood is a top grade piece of cocobolo!

So how does it play :)

Also how do you get that 'djent' sound? is it a different pick attack or just from the guitar's scale and thickness of the strings?

It plays surprisingly awesome. My two concerns were the seemingly huge 30inch scale and the width of the fretboard. When i first picked it up, i wasnt even thinking about those two things until i remembered that they were concerns haha. It feels like a 7 string neck, and honestly the scale is a total non issue too. The only thing is because of the scale 9s feel like 10s or 11s, so im going to try some 8s on and im going to get it setup properly as well!
The djent sound is usually the amp sound in combination with the pickups and palm muting and picking hard, but this guitar sounds a little different, it is very bright and therefore VERY djenty but has a different timbre and tonality due to the 30 inch scale so the strings react differently and you dont get that same sorta metallish twang out of the lower strings. Its not a bad thing, its just different and im experimenting with it in recordings, i just recorded in death is life from meshuggah's catch 33 as a mix test for myself!

thats a sick guitar :eek:

I didn't notice tere were so many awesome luthiers here in Arizona. I mean gutierrez and not now the dude who built your guitar.

Yeah man, it's fucking sweet. I can't wait till I have the $$$ to buy a custom. It's gonna be hard to pick the right luthier.

hey man if you want one just email my luthier, he is amazing and has the best prices on this caliber and quality of instrument! Just email him with your specs and ask for a quote!
theillustratedluthier@gmail.com

Something like my instrument would cost about 2800 bucks, but his base price on 8 strings is closer to 2300, however you can bring that price down if you want it more barebones than his "base" model.

My parents are from Mauritius actually, look it up if have never heard of it, tiny island off the east coast of africa. Im from Washington DC tho...

Back