Finished another mod 50 watter (before and after filter cap upgrade)

scottosan

This one started off as a Vogel 50 watt Non-Master volume. I did the mod a few weeks ago but was waiting on a metro loos and also some filter caps. Stock this thing had 50/33/33 if dual can caps and knew the filtering was going to leave it substandard in the chug department and make the amp congested and sluggish. Threw in all 50ufs and installed a metro loop and like it much better. First clip is after the cap upgrade. Second one in with the lower filtering. You can definitely hear and feel the difference in the room. Les Paul with Alnico Pro II pickups

higher filtering:

Lower Vintage filtering:

Last edited:
Ya i hear a bit of difference, but I kinda like the vintage filtering clip just as much as the other clip, they're both killer. That little bit of sag gives it mojo. When I got that done (new filter caps) to my Mesa Mark III red stripe I hardly noticed a difference at all, it was the same amp IMO and it always stayed tight at any volume setting. Only reason I got it done was cause one of the caps actually went on me... i did notice a real lack in response the week leading up to the cap failure though. So if I ever notice that again with my now Mark IV, i'll be sending it in for service hopefully before the cap(s) go on me.

BTW those are some big ass transformers on that amp!

Ya i hear a bit of difference, but I kinda like the vintage filtering clip just as much as the other clip, they're both killer. That little bit of sag gives it mojo. When I got that done (new filter caps) to my Mesa Mark III red stripe I hardly noticed a difference at all, it was the same amp IMO and it always stayed tight at any volume setting. Only reason I got it done was cause one of the caps actually went on me... i did notice a real lack in response the week leading up to the cap failure though. So if I ever notice that again with my now Mark IV, i'll be sending it in for service hopefully before the cap(s) go on me.

BTW those are some big ass transformers on that amp!
In this case because of the way Bobby plays, he wanted a bit more open and quick response. There’s certainly nuances the camera can’t pick up

This one started off as a Vogel 50 watt Non-Master volume. I did the mod a few weeks ago but was waiting on a metro loos and also some filter caps. Stock this thing had 50/33/33 if dual can caps and knew the filtering was going to leave it substandard in the chug department and make the amp congested and sluggish. Threw in all 50ufs and installed a metro loop and like it much better. First clip is after the cap upgrade. Second one in with the lower filtering. You can definitely hear and feel the difference in the room. Les Paul with Alnico Pro II pickups

higher filtering:

Lower Vintage filtering:

Sounds great Scott. I love the vintage filtering.

Sounds great as always! Both have their place and I like the lower filtering for the vintage feel and tone but those higher gain preamp designs need that higher filtering to keep up with that style of playing. Its the beauty of building these beasts, you can go in so many different directions with just a couple component changes..

Back