For the life of me I just cannot do bend vibrato!!!

Variable

And it's pissing me off. I always see great players with awesome bend vibrato and I just can't do it without it sounding like complete out-of-tune butt. Any ideas? I'm great at bending to pitch, I just can't seem to get this :(

-Russ

Practice. Try half step bends, then whole step bends. Maybe drop down to a lighter gauge of strings at first and work up to the heavier gauges.

It can be a PITA actually. It's one of the reasons why I love my floyd. Best thing you can do is practice.

yeah its really hard to teach this maneuver. best advice i can say is listen to people you think have a really good vibrato and try to mimic it. this is a "feel" type thing and not something that can instantly be taught.

Code001":9a73f said:
It's one of the reasons why I love my floyd.

+1. spoken like a true prodigy

You should try and get Robin Trower's Hot Licks video. He show quite a few different vibrato's and what to practice to achieve them. Really nice examples. Might give you something to start with...

tweed":5a223 said:
You should try and get Robin Trower's Hot Licks video. He show quite a few different vibrato's and what to practice to achieve them. Really nice examples. Might give you something to start with...

Shit, if I would've known Trower had videos I would've picked them up years ago :) Probably my favorite vibrato.

Oddly I only have that problem when trying to vibrato bend UP but no problem bending down and it too fucking pisses me off. It leaves the high E and B strings out of the vibrato loop. But as was mentioned here, baby steps - I work on it for 10 minutes every time I pick up a guitar.

Back