framus cobra version 1 or 2???

A

Anonymous

Never heard one of these in person... and there has been some talk floating around about these amps lately and they have sparked my interest. Is there only 2 versions of this amp.... and what are the strengths and weaknesses of both of them. Please by all means tell me all that you know about these amps, even if you want to bash on them.

Thanks, Chad

want to buy mine! version 1.

the biggest difference i believe is the external bias points. there are none on the version 1. so it is a bit harder to bias...but nothing a good guitar amp tech can't do himself.

Ive seen yours for sale... but I dont have too much cash to offer right now. Just trying to pull some resources together about the different versions and then making a decision on which one to buy. Was there any changes in the schematics besides the external bias points? Differences in sound between the 2 different versions, or are they the exact same layout and sound similar???

Hey Chad,

I had version one and it kicked SERIOUS ASS!
I think I paid $1100 for it a couple years back used.
:D

Want to grab another one some day. :yes:

Your 5150 should be there any day. :rock:

Dan

Yeah Dan... I really want to pair the 5150 with this Cobra, I just think the pair would be great together. Either that or paired with a Splawn Quickrod or Nitro. This amp is definatly at the top of my list to pick up though. See them goin really cheap on Ebay lately!!! Your guitar should be arriving sometime this week for you, hopefully. Let me know how that thing plays when you get it setup!!! I wish I could have gotten a real chance to play it. Thanks for your insight, you gear whore you!!! :LOL: :LOL:

I would avoid the Nitro before the Cobra.
To me........at least the Cobra OWNS the Nitro.
The quickrod seems like a hot rodded Marshall.
That will be covered in the Crunch channel of the 5150. :yes:

But the Cobra and 5150 would make a GREAT DUO!! :rock:

some additional info...

"The newer versions have individual PCB boards for channels/tone stacks, etc. The one thing that they changed that is a bit lame in the newer versions is making the Power tube sockets PCB mounted, which isn't as strong, but it's pretty common now-a-days and isn't any different from how ENGL or Peavey constructs their amps.

Other than that, the tolex is cheap and thin on their amps, which is a bit "suck", but that's something that I don't worry with since I've got mine roadcased. The older versions (without the external bias points) are a pain in the ass to retube and bias because of how hard the chassis is to remove from the headshell, but once you get it out, it's not that big of a deal."

not sure how reliable it is. here is the source: http://bbs.espguitars.com/showthread.php?t=38656

also...

read this...talks about the v5's as well.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... ?t=1857991

Good chance yes!!!!

But this makes me miss my Cobra!!!!!

Loved that amp, but hated the loop. And it was not a very loud amp either. Built quality was so so too. But man, that second channel!!!!!❤️❤️❤️
Never had the pleasure….almost bought one a few times when they were 6-900 bucks on GC.com

I'm probably one of the few people who still has a v1 cobra, i bought new around '04.
IMG_1181.jpg

Other than PCB layouts (or number of pcbs) and external bias points, the V1 and V2 Cobras (and Dragons) used optocouplers that were built by Framus themselves. They tend to get slow over time and can cause issues when switching channels. My volume would dip after switching channels and would then swell back up to normal volume in a second or two.
The issue is, you can't get replacements for thos anymore as Framus that built the amps is not the same company that Framus is today. They are very friendly but don't know much about the amps.
The V5 Cobras and Dragons used H11F3 optocouplers that can be used in the older amps too. Figuring that out cost me a few weeks and a good chunk of sanity

Back