Friedman JEL blackout

RedPlated

I know people like red head shells but I am not a fan. I had sourmash build me a black shell that centered the chassis. I like it much better.

txENTdLl.jpg

Do you have to drill the cab for the chassis? Any tips on how to line it up? I have a sourmash headbox coming soon.

Do you have to drill the cab for the chassis? Any tips on how to line it up? I have a sourmash headbox coming soon.
These are a hassle because the bolt holes are hidden under the edges of the chassis.

What I did was screw the chassis bolts into the chassis from the bottom up, so the heads faced down and acted like stilts to hold up the chassis. I set that in the head shell, positioned it correctly and marked the position of each bolt head. Actually made it very easy.

Looks great.. What do you think about how it sounds ?
I’ve had all the 100w Friedmans. And the small box, DS40 and Buxom Betty. The JEL is definitely my favorite.

The JEL departs from the traditional smooth, polite Friedman sound. It’s more aggressive and 800 like. Which is what it basically is with some tweaks. It gets more back to the roots of a modded high gain Marshall with the DNA left significantly more intact.

These are a hassle because the bolt holes are hidden under the edges of the chassis.

What I did was screw the chassis bolts into the chassis from the bottom up, so the heads faced down and acted like stilts to hold up the chassis. I set that in the head shell, positioned it correctly and marked the position of each bolt head. Actually made it very easy.

Makes sense. So you circled around the bolts? Then drilled the middle of the circle?

Makes sense. So you circled around the bolts? Then drilled the middle of the circle?
Yes, exactly. It's tough getting a marker in there but I was able to get about half the circle marked. With only 5/16" holes, all 4 lined up perfect.

I’ve had all the 100w Friedmans. And the small box, DS40 and Buxom Betty. The JEL is definitely my favorite.

The JEL departs from the traditional smooth, polite Friedman sound. It’s more aggressive and 800 like. Which is what it basically is with some tweaks. It gets more back to the roots of a modded high gain Marshall with the DNA left significantly more intact.
I just did the JEL mod to my 2203 and agree with your opinion... its a great mod... marshall is crazy not to have offered it long ago

How does the JEL compare to the X amp? I’ve had it for a while now and wondered how the JEL compares since it’s supposed to be open and raw like the X.

Back