Fryette Ultra Lead Help!

Rockworx

I have an ultra lead that suddenly stopped working. All of the tubes have plate voltage except for the four preamp tubes. There are no visible PCB issues. The transformers did not appear to overheat. However, I suspect it may be a transformer issue.

I have emailed and phoned Fryette with no response. Any ideas on how to get this head repaired? Schematics, transformer part numbers?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

I had a Pitbull that needed repairs. Over a period of months I sent multiple emails, phone calls and trying to pull any connections I had. It resulted in absolutely no response from VHT/Fryette. I had a friend who also wanted his Pitbull worked on at the time. Neither of us could reach them. I ended up finding a good local tech, but my buddy and I sold our VHTs. He said he didn't want an amp that a company wouldn't stand behind. I personally didn't want that kind of work done by anyone else, but Fryette. Hope you get in touch with them, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

They make great amps but customer service has always been hit or miss and it seems like it's only got worse... :thumbsdown:

Did you try replacing the fuses? Particularly the HT fuse? My old UL had this problem. Seemed to blow fuses once a year, even when I replaced power tubes which is supposed to solve the problem. I emailed for support on the issue and zero response. Ended up selling the amp not long after.

It's five employees including Steve and his wife. It takes awhile for them to respond. But they always have responded eventually in my experience.

Not to mention Steve is live every other Saturday on the YouTube on the Fryette channel. You can ask anything you want there.

It's on tonight at 7pm pacific time.

I never had an issue with VHT when I owned my Pit Bull Classic, but that was a LONG time ago. Stevie was always great to me when I had questions, never had a problem with the amp though.

You can ask for a RMA number if you want them to fix it, or just take it to a tech. Fryette doesn't give out schematics, if you email asking for one they'll probably ignore you. I've contacted those guys a few times over the years without problems, but plenty of people have had email issues.

I called and emailed asking for help to get it repaired. Did not ask for anything else. I'll give it a week or two more to see if I hear back.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Tried them all. Still no response from Fryette. Will take it to a local tech. Hopefully, it will be simple and nothing proprietary. Such a disappointment.

Since its ya plate voltage... ya measure pin 1 and 6 has no voltages? For all 4 tubes? Same scenario? Try measure input and output of those dropper resistors if one end has voltages but not the other end... probably ya resistors is open circuited....

Thanks! All four are dead. Do you by chance know the ID for dropping resistors on the board?
Sorry i wont know.... but if not wrong those dropping resistors are those bigger ones? metal oxide those with very kinda "rough open pore" looking resistors ... it should be on the board near ... you may need to slowly work ya measurement check from pin 1 or pin 6 no voltage... then slowly select each nearby resistor to test on its side ie input to ground and the other side input to ground ( in meter voltage DC), if ya bumped into a resistor without any input or output you may bump into the resistors which is connected from ya main dropping resistors, note down ya resistor number and proceed to slowly work ya way up till ya find resistors that has 1 side measurement values but not the other, then you may wanna power down ya amplifier, disconnect it off from ya main supply off ya wall plug, drain ya capacitors voltages by turning on both power and standby switch..... measure all ya big caps to confirm all voltages been drained then slowly desolder 1 leg of the resistor then measure ohms across the suspecting resistor if ya meter shows "OL"... if its a dropper resistor you may hit the jack pot... getta replacement according to the resistor band values... solder in and power up and try to measure ya plate voltage on pin 1 or 6 if it still has voltages... if yes you probably there...

those copper traces which is visible you may wanna trace the path from pin 1 and pin 6 then work ya way up to the bigger dropping resistors... but its tedious work just slowly measure them side by side for each resistors....

it happened on my Pittbull 92 classic which i faced same issue as yours... the volume gradually decreases but all preamp tube are lighted all tubes looks fine but just no sound... i then checked and found its one of the lower stream resistor which gave way after measuring on different and various resistor... and it came to me that 1 was "open" it showed now signs of burn marks etc.... solder it out measure it its "OL" on ya meter and changed it and thats all i have to do... the 3D of the Pittbull bark again !!

one more thing is when meant measure resistor side by side = negative leads of ya meter probe is to ground ie: connect to ya chassis and ya red doing the probing work on ya suspect resistor... ya need to be careful its live...!!

and last important thing... turn down all ya pots and make sure ya connect ya UL to a dummy load accordingly or least to ya speakers... during ya course of checks you will spend time and if without ya speakers connected to load thats it.... hope this helps...

Last edited:
damn...I thought those things were tanks...seems to be pretty common for them to go down. Only vht I ever had was a pitbull 50 st. Trades it asap for another rec.

Back