FS: Hafler/Bogner Triple Giant Preamp*SOLD* and Carl Martin Vertex Modded Plexitone

mentoneman

IMG_0958.jpeg
IMG_0954.jpeg
IMG_0964.jpeg
IMG_0965.jpeg

Hafler/Bogner Triple Giant 3 channel Tube Preamp $700 *****SOLD******

Description:

1) The Clean channel is really impressive in a modern glassy Petrucci/Landau way with compressor/chorus/verb/delay stuff. You can set the gain higher and make it break up too.

2) The Brown channel reminds me of the lead channel of the Rivera TBR-1 I had, and the second channel of many rack preamps of that era (Soldano, CAE, and Bogner [duh!] ). You can set the gain really low and get bluesier tones.

3) The Sharp channel is perfectly named--grinding chainsaw metal crunch with loads of treble/presence and bass.

Channel switching happens via MIDI or 1/4" footswitching (not included)
I used MIDI (channel selectable and currently set to MIDI channel 2)--I tried but could never figure out the 1/4" switching jack logic---I could make it channel switch but not exactly how I wanted.
NOTE: You cannot change channels without a MIDI or proper 1/4" footswitch pedal, as there is no channel switching button by default on the unit.

-Mono send/stereo return FX loop with front panel wet/dry mix control, and mono or stereo main output. The loop sounds great. I had a Roland SDE-1000 in it and it worked as expected.

Nice condition-Tech went through it in 2019 and replaced Brown Channel volume knob which was jumpy.

Made this video today to demo sounds and it's working perfectly-check it out:

Carl Martin Vertex Modded Plexitone ***new price: $275 shipped***

Was my main Marshall plexi crunch to high gain pedal in the front of my Mojave amps for years; very natural extension of that plexi style amp.

mods (original cost was $200 for the mods) : separate Bass/Mid/Treb controls and better EQ range balance, improved Boost circuit (I've used this pedal just for boost on different amps too), 9v Boss style power jack

NOTE: Velcro on bottom and High Gain LED indicator light has been intermittently flickering, but all function switches and tone/volume controls work like they should.

Video of some of the tones and how I used it on my board with a clean Peacemaker platform (starts at 2:44) :

Will only ship to US/domestic please----Not interested in trades at this time. Aloha!

Last edited:
I owned a Triple G and (foolishly) let it go. You have this one dialed in. And your playing on the demo video is superb.

How long have you had the Triple Giant? I had one and sold it on here a few years ago and seen it a time or two up for sale, it was the midi capable one. I miss that preamp.

I owned a Triple G and (foolishly) let it go. You have this one dialed in. And your playing on the demo video is superb.
Mahalo! It does take time to sit there and fine tune the tone controls with the gain settings as everything is super interactive. Having lived in So Cal front and center through the rise of the rack era, it is a very cool historic item in that regard.

i LOVE the clean channel modern hyperclean thing which is right there with the triaxis i owned and egnater ie4 cleans i currently own. the brown channel reminds me so much of my rivera TBR-1 lead channel and the classic rack preamp crunch channels of that era. the sharp channel is grindy and fun for chunky metal.

I mixed sound for a friend who used to use a triple drive to play lead guitar in a couple of bands with a very schon and carlos style, and he lived on the brown channel.

This video demo i recorded was direct from my rack's rocktron rack interface/90s cab emulation circuit/headphone output jack to the Canon SL-1 camera mic input jack. If you play it through a traditional speaker cab setup it gets jucier/spongier the sustain increases nicely. When i picked it up from the shop after getting it serviced and finding the right 12ax7s for the v1/v2, i plugged it into my vht 2/90/2 and a pair of PRS tremonnti V30 1x12s and the sharp channel sounded very nuno-ey!

How long have you had the Triple Giant? I had one and sold it on here a few years ago and seen it a time or two up for sale, it was the midi capable one. I miss that preamp.
bought it from my friend Zach's gtr shop in 2016 here in Hawaii. it was sitting in a rack full of gear in his shop for many years not being used. super happy this is the MIDI version!

the volume knob on the brown channel started to act jumpy so in 2019 I took it in to have it replaced and have the whole preamp checked out, and swapped out some of the tubes for newer ones that sounded better in V1/2.

that 1/4" footswitch jack is a puzzle. i spent quite a while trying to get it to switch properly, connecting it with outboard channel switching controllers, TRS-Y, various amp channel switching pedals, etc. and i could make it switch, but not predictably. Michael Nielsen did a demo of this preamp and he also discussed having trouble getting it to switch logically with the 1/4" jack. Only Reinhold knows! Or send it to Bruce Egnater to to figure out what footswitch works and add a toggle button on the front to manually change channels.

One thing that is pretty cool is how quiet the sharp channel is for such high gain. I guess you could add a boost up front, or something in the loop like an eq and a decimator if you really needed to stoke the fire for those dropped D hard stops. I don't! My pickups are very low output so something hotter in the bridge would really explode. Or send it to that Hermannsen guy to mod it for napalm...!

Here is the clean sound of it with the Roland SDE-1000 in the loop of the preamp:

-i LOVE great sounding vintage rack gear-but notice how the input of the SDE-1000 was being hit hard into the red? those units were notorious for not having as much line level input headroom as the SDE or SDD-3000s. But it sounded killer being pushed to the brink!

Is the hafler a series loop that accepts pedals or just rack delays ?
i believe it is able to run a pedal in the loop as i seem to remember using a flashback in there but i’ll check and get back.
there is a direct/fx mix knob that controls the loop which i believe means it is a parallel loop.

I'm trying to move some of my gear so I can pick up that TG. I miss mine!
i will probably kick myself down the line as prices for these things seem to just keep creeping higher...

BTW i had to correct my original post here from Sept 6, stating at that time that the vertex mod to the plexitone was no longer available.

but i just noticed that as of sept. 8, 2 days after i posted my plexitone/vertex mod for sale here, he is once again offering the mod on their website. just an FYI....

Back