Getting back into the Suhr mix!!!

mystixboi

Beyond stoked... I few years back, I had a bunch of Suhr guitars that I sold off due to some unexpected medical bills(twins being born two months early will do that). I finally decided to pull the trigger on another... can’t wait to get this Modern Satin!!!

HWFmYxf.jpg

bWgDFrl.jpg

Awesome, congrats. I’ve wanted one of those in mahogany for a long time. Seems like the perfect guitar to me

The Suhr Modern is the best guitar I’ve ever played. It’s honestly hard to play on other guitars now...

My fave Suhr geetar!

Bought a Modern Pro Bengal Burst and Satin many years ago. Unfortunately the Pro sounded like ass (scratchy, thin, harsh) even 'though it played like butta.

The Satin has a chunkier neck which also isn't super-smooth like the Pro's, and maybe I just got unlucky with that particular Pro, but the sound of the Satin meant it was a no-brainer to send the Pro back.

The fact that it's such a light (I mean weight) guitar is a welcome bonus too. Awesome axe, brother. I sincerely hope it serves you well.

My fave Suhr geetar!

Bought a Modern Pro Bengal Burst and Satin many years ago. Unfortunately the Pro sounded like ass (scratchy, thin, harsh) even 'though it played like butta.

The Satin has a chunkier neck which also isn't super-smooth like the Pro's, and maybe I just got unlucky with that particular Pro, but the sound of the Satin meant it was a no-brainer to send the Pro back.

The fact that it's such a light (I mean weight) guitar is a welcome bonus too. Awesome axe, brother. I sincerely hope it serves you well.

Thanks so much. After I got my first satin years ago, I bought a beautiful modern in purple web. Just like yours, it played amazingly well. But the tone did nothing for me. Ended up selling it to get another satin.

I totally feel ya mate.

Apart from that scratchiness / coldness / thinness / harshness, it just had no character. The only usable sound I could coax from it was the middle pickup through clean / cleanish amp settings. It provided a great chimey tone. Hence, I called that geetar Chimey and the Satin Woody.

Chimey had to go. I needed more than a one-trick pony, and Woody fit the bill as being a great organic-sounding, woody tone set to compliment a more-standard-sounding Strat or Super Strat.

I’ve had this issue with Suhrs. They seem to be picky about pickups.

It took numerous pickups in my current Modern to find the right fit. It came alive all the sudden. I settled on a Duncan Custom 8. Sweet top end and a nice and full sound with good punch.

I totally feel ya mate.

Apart from that scratchiness / coldness / thinness / harshness, it just had no character. The only usable sound I could coax from it was the middle pickup through clean / cleanish amp settings. It provided a great chimey tone. Hence, I called that geetar Chimey and the Satin Woody.

Chimey had to go. I needed more than a one-trick pony, and Woody fit the bill as being a great organic-sounding, woody tone set to compliment a more-standard-sounding Strat or Super Strat.
This is the problem with pretty much every Suhr I’ve tried except the Satin I owned (same guitar the OP is getting), which was a lot better. I honestly hated those other higher end Suhr guitars. For sure the biggest let down of any guitars I’ve tried, especially given the huge hype they had at the time I was trying them. Rockinchippy I guess was partially responsible for that stupid hype they had. Amazing to me that the much cheaper stripped satin down version I had sounded better than the many fancy looking $5k+ ones I’ve tried. I didn’t keep my Satin ultimately, but remember it being pretty good overall

Back